chlorine

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-09, 10:16 PM
wwc
chlorine

Is chlorine the same thing as bleach ?

How much chlorine or bleach mixes per a gallon of water ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-09, 05:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Chlorine is chlorine. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite. I am assuming you want to try this in your pool. Don't. Use what is specified for pools. Or go one better and use Ultraviolet light in the recirculation system. Eliminates the need for chemicals in pools. A little expensive at the onset, but no maintenance issues.

Old 06-25-09, 10:17 AM
Chlorine is the same as bleach. Liquid Pool shock or pool bleach is sold in pool stores everywhere. Pool bleach is 12% sodium hypochlorite where household Chlorox is 5-6% sodium hypochlorite. I've used household bleach to augment my salt water chlorine generator for YEARS. If you want to use it in your pool, it's fine, but use unscented bleach.

Old 06-25-09, 01:50 PM
wwc
thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

Old 06-25-09, 03:58 PM
Not to differ with you tonyl, but Chlorine is an element, not a chemical. But if used in a pool vernacular, I guess all would know what was meant, right?

Old 06-26-09, 06:21 AM
Element/chemical/pool vernacular? WOW and C'mon.

This is a do-it-yourself forum, not a go to a pool store and buy their product because it's titled "for pools" deal.

Let's save do-it-yourself people some money!!!! Pool store liquid chlorine is sodium hypochlorite. Household bleach is sodium hypochlorite. The question was asked is bleach the same as chlorine. The CORRECT answer is YES. The only difference between the two is the concentration.

Old 06-26-09, 02:04 PM
And, as a do it yourself forum we have to watch what we advise people. "Chlorine" in the pool vernacular does mean the additive derived from sodium hypochlorite. Making a statement that Chlorine is the same as bleach is not correct at first sight. As I stated Chlorine is a deadly gas in elemental form, and shouldn't be used as a term for bleach which is a compound.
In order to save a diyer money, they would have to meter out twice as much household bleach as the blend made for pools, which may or may not work since the volume is now different. I am sure, also, convenience and safety comes to play when you are mixing chemicals that your children will swim in. Ever swam in an over treated pool?
Believe me, I am all for DIY. That's why I am here.
I am not a fan of chemicals in pools in the first place, as indicated in my first post, so I gave an option. It, likewise, is a diy project with expert help from the manufacturer.
So, golly-gee-wow, maybe the OP hasn't been scared off.

Old 06-27-09, 06:03 AM
"In order to save a diyer money, they would have to meter out twice as much household bleach as the blend made for pools, which may or may not work since the volume is now different."

You're arguing volumetric; you can't argue that:

Liquid pool chlorine is sodium hypochlorite.
Household bleach is ..sodium hypochlorite.

I'm done.

Old 06-27-09, 07:05 AM
Know that everyone is saying "WHAT?" Here it is simply:
Household bleach is a so called chlorine of around 5-6 ppm and a ph of 10-12ppm
The same is true about liquid pool chlorine however it is 10-12pppm chlorine and still 10-12ppm ph which means when adding liquid you are raising your ph in your pool.
Now chlorine tabs, sticks, and some granulars are more ph neautral and are much higher in an available chlorine. Some also contain added stabilizer, clarifier, algeacides. So typically you are getting much more for your money. Keep in mind stabilizer (cyanaric acid) is very important to have in the pool to keep the sun and heat from eating your chlorine out of the pool.

Closed Thread