patching air ring on pool

Old 06-26-09, 10:31 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
patching air ring on pool

Has anyone found a solution? I am trying to repair several one inch tears in the air ring that surrounds the top of a soft sided pool. I have patched and repatched using several types of glues, several different thicknesses of patching material, I have weighted down the patch until it cured, I have patched from behind the tear and on top of the tear. The patches seem to be holding and then one will give way. I repatch it and it holds, but then another gives way, and so on and so on. I finally slapped on Gorilla Tape, which is holding better than the patches, but still allows air to leak after about 10 minutes. Is there any fool proof way of fixing the ring? I have read people asking about using the car tube inflatable sealer inside the ring, but have not seen a reply saying that it had worked. Has anyone found a solution?

Old 06-27-09, 07:51 AM
Here is my idea, never tried it nor thought about it more than a few minutes since reading your post but to me it makes sense. If your hole is an inch and being that the top ring is a pretty heavy vinyl, I would actually sew with needle and a marine thread the hole then seal and patch it. What this does is helps keep the hole closed so you are not relying on the patch to do that and the patch can do its job and keep the air in. If you decide to try it make sure to post and let us know how it works...

Old 06-27-09, 01:34 PM
D
Hmmmm....interesting. Marine thread...Don't suppose they sell that stuff at your basic fabric store...Have never looked for it at the boat store..........where would I find it?

Old 06-27-09, 03:14 PM
upholstery place should have it. Be sure to stich it tight so not to tear when filled. Good luck...

Old 06-28-09, 11:40 AM
D
Always use a ROUND patch , if you use square or rectangle the corners will lift and the patch will fail .. As far as sewing the area closed i would suggest you NOT because the type of material used in the air rings will simply rip at every stitch as the ring expands with air , Also make sure the material you use on the air ring is the clear plastic patch material the pool maker supplies with the pool and which can be bought where these pools are sold.

Old 06-28-09, 07:12 PM
D
I have rounded the corners on every patch I tried. Also, I have tried the clear patches. The clear patches work fine on the pin holes. They simply do not hold the tear together, and air leaks out. Also, the larger the patch, the harder the clear patches are to use. When the glue is applied the patch curls and becomes very hard to manage.

I have not stitched on the rubber ring. What I have done is used a piece of Gorilla tape large enough to hold the tear in place. Then I have applied sealant glue around the edges of the tape. Not sure if it is working yet. I'll inflate tomorrow. Seriously, I am beginning to think patching these slits is impossible.

Old 06-29-09, 09:03 AM
L
The company that made the pool,Intex? most likely has a web site, I would check that..

Good luck and have a great day

Old 06-29-09, 07:53 PM
D
Originally Posted by dilohi View Post
I have rounded the corners on every patch I tried. Also, I have tried the clear patches. The clear patches work fine on the pin holes. They simply do not hold the tear together, and air leaks out. Also, the larger the patch, the harder the clear patches are to use. When the glue is applied the patch curls and becomes very hard to manage.

I have not stitched on the rubber ring. What I have done is used a piece of Gorilla tape large enough to hold the tear in place. Then I have applied sealant glue around the edges of the tape. Not sure if it is working yet. I'll inflate tomorrow. Seriously, I am beginning to think patching these slits is impossible.

Apply the cement to the area on the ring then lay a Round patch over it and like anything to be parched there is a limit to what can be patched you may have found that limit

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: