Pump Wet End GPH Ratings?

Old 08-27-09, 02:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump Wet End GPH Ratings?

I bought a new 1hp 3450rpm single speed AOSmith motor/pump assembly for my indoor jetted tub. It does not seem to put out very strong from all the jets despite the rpm and hp ratings are the same as the original. I posted this awhile back and I'm just getting back to it. It was suggested that maybe the wet end pump might not be of a high enough gph rating for the tub?

How does one tell what rating it is, and is there in fact various gph levels for different applications for a 1-1.5 hp motor?

I'm at my wits end with this thing and just want to put it to bed.

Old 08-30-09, 07:19 AM
B
Anybody out there?

How about a good website then?

Old 08-30-09, 07:41 AM
It is actually the impellar that can be changed to pump differently. Not suggested as it could burn out a motor. Tha part# on the impellar is the only way to know what you got.

Old 08-31-09, 09:35 PM
B
Is there a possibility the pool/spa shop sold me a pump setup for something requiring less water pressure than a jet tub? Could it be maybe for a pool rather than something requiring high pressure jetted action? I'm looking for some direction to head to fix my issue.

Old 09-17-09, 11:15 AM
B
Still looking for info on wet end gph ratings. I'd like to replace the one I have to increase jet pressure.

Old 09-26-09, 06:38 PM
B
????? 264 views and no one knows an answer?

Old 09-27-09, 08:07 AM
D
You don't give enough information for an answer. A "pump" is made up of two parts. The electric motor, and the "wet end" (everything other than the electric motor). ANY brand of motor with the same hp will give you the same performance with the wet end you have. AO Smith is the brand of the electric motor, and has virtually nothing to do with the wet end. It's the wet end (and impeller) that determines the flo rate.

FYI. There's 2 aspects to a pump's water flow. Volume and pressure. You can have higher volume with lower pressure, or lower volume with higher pressure, or something in between...with the same hp.

Old 01-04-10, 03:44 PM
B
Here's maybe a little better back ground. This is an original post in another thread. There's got to be a simple fix for this:

==================================
"Okay I hope all this makes sense. Here's quick background...Indoor jetted bath tub with a 1hp,3450rpm, 1.5" fitting pump stops working. The original return line from the tub to the pump is of course 1.5" PVC line. The outgoing or feed line to the tub jets is 1" flex line from a T fitting, also from a 1.5" connector off the pumps wet end's top.

The only new pumps they sell are now 2" fitting wet end pumps. So I buy one and use reducers etc. along with new connectors to the pump's wet end, to fit the existing tub lines (1.5" return/1" feed lines). Basically mixing old with new.

The problem I'm having is the resulting water pressure to the jets.....From the T-fitting off the pump wet end feed connector on top, there's a line of 1" flex line to one set of jets on one side of the tub, and same down the other side feeding off the T-fitting just above the pump's wet end...Well one side has moderate pressure, the other has some or practically little at all. I've even placed my hands over other jets to see if it increased pressure to the weaker side, but it has no affect. The feed lines have these PVC baffles, for lack of a better word, where they split off to each jet alongside the tub.

I have even taken a garden hose w/taped end to fit the jet nozzles and back flushed each to be sure none were clogged and it flushed just fine.

Okay with that said....Would the fact I've gone from the original 1.5" feed/return line pump to a 2" feed/return line pump (same hp/rpm) have some affect on the water pressure somehow thru the fitting reduction process (making a 1.5' fit the 2" wet end connector)?

Right now I have reduced the feed line to 1" line out from the pump connector to the T-fitting split directly above it at the faucet end of the tub. The connectors for the feed/return lines are both meant for 2" lines.

With 1.5" return lines providing water to be pumped back out immediately thru 1" line, would that not increase pressure?

What if I increase the immediate section of feed line from the pump connector (vertical) line to say 1.25 or 1.5" of short PVC to maybe a 1.25 - 1.5" -fitting THEN reduce it off the t-fitting to the tubs 1" jet feed line off both ends.

Guess I'm trying to figure out if there's some sort the Bounelli(sp?) effect of this new setup so I can get a decent jetting action from this tub and the new wet end, or have to seek out a higher GPH rated wet end?

Old 01-05-10, 04:52 PM
What was the original failure? Motor or cracked wet end.

If the motor was what failed and the original wet end is still usable (or at least good enough to experiment with), I would put the new motor on the old wet end and see if you have the same results. The wet end is what controls flow and pressure. If this solves the problem, but the old wet end leaks or needs to be replaced for some reason, you can look at getting the seal kit, or finding the correct wet end. I know I replaced the wet end on my tub and was able to easily find the correct size fittings. Did not need to reduce to appropriate size. I suspect your issues are related to the reducers you use

Last edited by todrut; 01-14-10 at 07:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: