Is pea gravel okay?

Old 09-12-05, 10:37 AM
RyanB
Visiting Guest
Is pea gravel okay?

I am getting my new hot tub delievered in a few weeks. I live in Wisconsin. I would like to use pea gravel and compact it down instead of using a concrete slab do to budget constraints. Is it okay to dig down about 4" and put pea gravel in there, compact it and put the tub on top? My hot tub dealer told me a lot of people do that and my neighbor thought it was a crazy idea and would not work. I want to frame that up with edging block and then put a row of 24" paver around that. What would be the best way to do this?
Thanks!!

Old 09-14-05, 12:41 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanB
I am getting my new hot tub delievered in a few weeks. I live in Wisconsin. I would like to use pea gravel and compact it down instead of using a concrete slab do to budget constraints. Is it okay to dig down about 4" and put pea gravel in there, compact it and put the tub on top? My hot tub dealer told me a lot of people do that and my neighbor thought it was a crazy idea and would not work. I want to frame that up with edging block and then put a row of 24" paver around that. What would be the best way to do this?
Thanks!!

That is not a good idea. You need 46D's which is crushed lime stone. That will pack down and give you a solid base. Pea gravel does not compact so the tub will sink over time.

Old 09-22-05, 04:19 PM
hottubphd
Visiting Guest
Pea Gravel...

You will want to read the warranty for your new hot tub. Some will void your shell warranty or all of the warranty if the spa is not placed on the recomended platform.
Ask your dealer to see a written copy of the warranty, if that fails try the manufacturer.
Never trust anyone that will not show you the warranty in writing.

Old 09-23-05, 03:59 PM
Darryl41
Visiting Guest
Cool If Pea Gravel is Not Okay, Are Paving Stones?

I am buying an outdoor spa and was also given the option to place the unit on pea gravel over compacted earth or place it on paving stones over sand over compacted earth. Are paving stones a better option if it complies with the warranty?

THX

Old 09-26-05, 01:23 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darryl41
I am buying an outdoor spa and was also given the option to place the unit on pea gravel over compacted earth or place it on paving stones over sand over compacted earth. Are paving stones a better option if it complies with the warranty?

THX
Mine is on paving stones. I used 46D crushed limestone and then limestone sand and then the pavers. My tub is about 900lbs dry and it holds around 450 gallons of water. The pavers have not moved an inch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: