Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

slow leak at pump and PVC pipe connection

slow leak at pump and PVC pipe connection

Old 09-08-09, 01:00 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy slow leak at pump and PVC pipe connection

My inground pool was running great for past a few years. However, I just found there is a small leaking at the connection of pump outlet to 2" PVC pipe - it's hayward 1.5hp pump, they are connected by 2" PVC male adaptor SCH-40. After cutting the pipe and replacing a new 2" male adaptor, the slow leaking still exists. This caused me to think there might be something else.

Since the pool has water leaking problem - I have to add small amount water daily to keep it in certain level. However, last week (entire week), I didn't add enough water, which caused the pool water lever lower - right on the edge of skimmer. So the pump lost prime on/off for a week (5 hour pump operation time daily). I'm just wondering if that was the reason which damaged something that I don't know? BTW, after adding enough water, the pump doesn't have problem to prime, neither does different sound/noise.

Old 09-08-09, 05:23 PM
Did you use teflon tape and silicone sealant when replacing male adapter? It sounds like you have a bigger leak somewhere else if you are adding water daily unless it is a big leak at the male adapter.

Old 09-09-09, 12:29 PM
H
Thanks for response. You are right, it does have a "big leak". Except I have to add water daily, it doesn't bother me at all. I though it would need a lot of effort to detect and fix this type of leaking. Any suggesting on detecting the leaking?

Old 09-09-09, 05:15 PM
1st I would shut pool off, mark water level, let sit overnite and see how much it drops if any. Is it vinyl pool or concrete?

Old 09-09-09, 05:21 PM
H
It's an inground concrete pool (30 yeas ago). The equipment such as pump, filters,etc are relatively new.

I have to add water for 6-7 minutes daily (controlled automatically by my sprinke control panel) to maintain a proper water level. The pool is about 24000 gal capacity.

Old 09-15-09, 02:40 PM
H
status update: the slow leak at the pump area has been fixed. I fixed this by replacing a pump seal. youtube.com has a video instruction - 2 hour job

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: