Hot tub cover

Old 10-22-09, 10:39 AM
Hot tub cover

My (Hot Springs) hot tub cover got so water logged and heavy I really couldn't manage it. The jacket is in good shape and it wasn't a major task to unzip it and remove the panels.

My question is, are there replacement panels or a way to dry out the old ones so I can reuse them?
Can I just find some styrofoam and try to make my own? Any other ideas besides biting the bullet and buying a new one? And if I have to, any ideas on the best place to look?

Appreciate it...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-09, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Buy a new one..best option. I investigated all the options a few years back..and it just wasn't feasible. I even pulled mine out, let them dry for a week and had them re-encapsulated (knew someone at the place..otherwise..cost prohibitive) and they only lasted another 6 months before they were soaking wet and heavy again.

Check around though..I was able to replace mine by buying one of the ones they had on their display the prior season....$100 vs $400...not bad huh? Don't be too picky about absolute perfect fit or color and you can get a deal. Oh..and make sure you use liquid seam sealer (like for tents) on all sewn seams (esp underneath) and a UV protectant on it after you get it. My first one, redwood color, lasted about 4 yrs...my second, grey color, with maintenance lasted over 8. It was still fine when I sold the place.

Old 10-22-09, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input. Sort of figured it would go that way.

It is a Hot Springs Prodigy model I bought new in 2000 but the last 4 years I had to let it set empty. Before I put a lot of money into a new cover I want to make sure the unit works the way it should. I cleaned and filled it last evening and it is coming up to temp right now. I have the old foam inserts sitting on top to hold the heat in and I thought it would be hot by now but it is only warm. I wonder if I have a thermostat issue.

Are there any technical guys in here that can help me out if I have to trouble shoot?

Thx

Old 10-22-09, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
There are a couple of techs I think..they don't get in every day. If its still rising in temp..I wouldn't worry too much. The water was probably pretty cold going in..it can take a day or even more to reach full temp...

Looks like a nice unit...is it wired 120 or 240?..that can make a difference as well.

Oh..what part of OH? I grew up about 20 miles N of Dayton..

Old 10-22-09, 01:58 PM
It's wired at 120 volts-which means that when the jets run the heater doesn't, and vice versa. I believe it could be converted to 240 volts but I probably won't. It's on a dedicated GFCI ckt.

It has a No-Fault 6000 Heater which allows 1500 watts or 6000 watts for heating. At 120 volt it is 1500 watts so it makes sense it is taking a little longer to heat up. Hope that's the case.

But all the components are quality. It also came with the optional Freshwater II O-zone system.

I bought the unit in Findlay and I live about 22 miles south of there. Small world...