swimming pool pump problems

Old 10-28-09, 09:03 AM
swimming pool pump problems

I'm not sure how to start a new thread but this one seems related to other problems in this forum. I cannot get pressure from pump when cleaning pool. Only when I open the bleeder valve (American Products Filter system) is there any pressure. When I close the bleeder valve (the one causing a gusher of water to come out) there is then pressure but when it is closed, there does not seem to be much of any movement through glass cover. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-09, 11:04 AM
Sorry, don't really understand what you are saying. Do you have a DE filter? What glass cover are you talking about? When you say pressure, is water coming out the returns in pool?

Old 10-29-09, 09:13 AM
Sorry, I'm not too familiar with terms. I am visiting a sick friend in Tampa (from Canada) and I have not had a pool for years. I do know that there is a cartridge filter and, as I understand it, when he changed the cartridge, that is when his problems started. It looks identical but is there any chance that it could be the wrong size? The glass/plastic window I refer to is right after the filter. There seems to be little movement of water except when I open the bleeder valve by the pressure guage near the top of the filter. When water gushes out that release valve, only then will there be movement of water as seen in the window I refer to. There is very little suction by the skimmer. There are two pipes - Y type - each having its own shutoff valve leading water to the pool. Both valve are open. I have checked as best as I can and the gasket seems good and I can detect no leaks. So, I would think there has to be some blockage. Can you or anyone help out?

Old 10-29-09, 01:11 PM
The best I can understand is only when you open the relief valve will water enter filter. So sounds like filter is issue. Try to take the cartridge completely out of filter then turn pump on and see if water circulates. If you could post pics it would help.

Old 10-29-09, 10:35 PM
Thanks, i have been ill or jetlagged for past couple of days but I will do what I can in the next couple of days.

Old 10-31-09, 03:47 PM
please ignore my problem which I have now solved. The problem was merely that the filter was so dirty it was plugging up the water supply! thanks to moderator who was correct - it was the filter!

Last edited by lansur; 10-31-09 at 03:49 PM. Reason: forgot to thank moderator
Old 10-31-09, 04:09 PM
Glad to help, hope you caught up on sleep...