Spa Platform

Old 01-04-10, 07:02 AM
Spa Platform

Looking for a little guidance. We are going to have a spa delivered in the next month. Our backyard is nowhere near complete let alone designed. We just want to have a spa to help my back and entertain. With that said, this is going to be a temporary install. Maybe a few years, but not a lifetime. I have seen thew EZPads and handi spa Pads. Both look neat, but I wasn't sure if I could build a platform for a similar price.

So, my question is, what is the best method for building a small platform (8x8, slightly raised from ground level) for a spa that will weigh 5,175 lb filled and be about 92"x92"?

I was contemplating those deck blocks, 4x4 beams and 2x4 or 2x6 decking. Opinions please??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-10, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know about the exact design and load capacity, but you hit on the way I would do it. Just need to use plenty of the deck blocks to spead the load and prevent sagging.

Old 01-04-10, 01:18 PM
I have built many this way, even for permanent applications. Simply build a deck using 4x4's for the support columns, 2x6 joists and you can use the 5/8" decking on top. There is a support beam running in the middle under the tub. Be sure to place 2 support beams evenly spaced under the deck to support middle of tub.

Old 01-04-10, 05:36 PM
I was hoping to not over-engineer this and just use the 4x4's directly (horizontally on the dek blocks) as the joists, and then just lay the 2x6 planks over. Maybe 2' spacing for the joists. Ends up like 25 dek blocks and 5 4x4's.

Old 01-05-10, 09:39 PM
Concrete can also be a solid option.

It sounds like it would only be a yard of concrete. I would recommend forming it and pouring it yourself. It would take you a lot quicker, and you could be assured it was stable. Check out this site. Concrete - A Do It Yourself guide. If you need more help I would be happy to help.
G

Old 01-06-10, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by Graeme_2010 View Post
It sounds like it would only be a yard of concrete. I would recommend forming it and pouring it yourself. It would take you a lot quicker, and you could be assured it was stable. Check out this site. Concrete - A Do It Yourself guide. If you need more help I would be happy to help.
G
The problem with concrete is that in the next few years I would end up have to break it up and haul it out. Where as I could reuse some of the lumber.