Dirt to fill an inground concrete pool

Old 02-26-10, 03:11 PM
Dirt to fill an inground concrete pool

I am in Bay Area, ca. I am in process of demolishing an inground swimming pool. Just talked to city of San Jose permit office, I have been told it is ok to just fill the pool with the dirt as long as I break/punch couple of 12x12 holes on the bottom of the pool. Also, he mentioned if I got lucky I may be able to get free dirt to fill the pool.

Since I am not going to construct anything on pool site. I am going to put lawn after filling it up which I believe would be the least expansive option for me. But where to get the dirt is a big thing for me. Does anybody have idea to get cheap or free dirt?

It's a pretty big pool diving pool - about 21000 gallon or at least 2800 cubic feet of dirt. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-10, 04:53 PM
If they will allow it, put up a sign "clean fill wanted". Sometimes there will be a job in your area and the contractor faces trucking the excavated dirt out of the area. Cheaper to find a spot close by. An issue might be a place for him to dump it if he can't easily get all the way back. Then you have to move it or have it moved. Details, details .

If your town does any ditching they may have fill available. Also check any large construction jobs in the area.

Bud

Old 02-27-10, 09:37 AM
You can drive around your area and look for construction sites that will be moving dirt. Sometimes they need a place to dump. Good luck...