spa heater

Old 03-07-10, 10:45 AM
spa heater

i have been having a problem with my minimax gas spa heater.
it uses a Honeywell VR8304K control board. the heater starts ok most of the time, pilot lite lites, and main burner lites, it may heat for 5 min.-15 min., but then shuts down, then lites again, shuts down, and so on. i bypassed the pressure switch, same symtom. my 24 volts that controls the gas valve is missing when heater is not working. i've checked 24vac coming into the board and it seems to be good. any idea's other than replacing the board?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-10, 01:42 PM
It could be "high limit" if water is not flowingsufficiantly through heater. Try cleaning your filter, if it is a cartridge and a couple years old replace it.

Could also be the heater needs to be cleaned, has it ever been cleaned out from the top? Debris will accumulate on top of heat exchanger causing the heat to build up below it, causing the heater to shut itself off.

Old 03-12-10, 10:13 AM
vr8304k

i bypassed the "water flow sensor" and the top of exchanger is clean. i pulled the heater and cleaned when problem first started. shutdown problem starts after warmup so i used freeze spray on circuit board to see if problem went away. freeze spray had no effect. any more ideas? thank you

Old 03-12-10, 04:55 PM
Is it knocking before shutting down?

Old 03-14-10, 08:56 AM
spa heater

no, it just shuts down and then starts up again, and then cuts off, and restarts,over and over. my control board is a honeywell S8600F. I mistakenly used the gas valve model no. in my opening question. sorry.

Old 03-14-10, 09:11 AM
It is acting exactly like the heat is trapped in combustion chamber. Did you clean the heat exchanger when you had the heater apart? Soot can build up on the coils and reduce air flow dramatically. You can use garden hose with a jet nozzle to spray them from the top. Then let heater dry out.