ozone generator

Reply

  #1  
Old 04-25-10, 11:31 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 164
ozone generator

Can an ozone generator go bad, I noticed the bubbles from my jets aren't what they used to be. Or can there be some other reason for it, tub was made in 1999. Is replacement easy if so?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-25-10, 01:40 PM
todrut's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,212
Can definately go bad, if venturi system could bethe venturi plugged up...
 
  #3  
Old 04-25-10, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 17,629
I need to clean my venturi every 3 or 4 months. It's such a routine item that I've installed a ball valve on either side of the venturi so I can remove it without draining the tub.
 
  #4  
Old 04-26-10, 05:44 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 164
So the venturi can be taken apart an clean that is the long cylinder thing correct? How do you tell if it is bad, or I will be able to tell when I get it apart?
 
  #5  
Old 04-26-10, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 17,629
There is not much you can take apart. Most you can unscrew the small fitting on the side where the ozone line meets the venturi. Inside that fitting there may be a check valve so be ready if a small ball and spring pop out at you. Once you have the side fitting removed look down inside the venturi with a flashlight. You should see a small slit or a hole. On my spa this slit gets clogged with mineral deposits. Some scraping with a stainless steel wire, paper clip or dental tool can remove the bigger chunks. If you do this while the spa pump is running no water will leak out since the venturi is sucking in while you work. If you try it with the pump off water will leak out the fitting once you unscrew it.

I've tried all sorts of mineral dissolving products CLR and white vinegar and they really did not do much. For a thorough cleaning I remove the entire venturi, scrape out the bigger deposits and then soak it in hydrochloric (Muratic) acid to dissolve the remaining minerals. Most pool and home improvement stores sell it (it's often with masonry supplies). Be VERY careful. It is a very strong acid so you MUST work with it outside and wear safety glasses a organic vapor respirator and heavy duty rubber gloves. Also have a bucket of water or a spigot nearby. The acid will burn your skin so if you get any on you immediately wash it off with lots of water.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'