Plastering help

Old 04-28-10, 04:26 PM
Plastering help

So, I have a pool. The sides needed repair, and we decided to try and save some money and fix it ourselves. So we decided in our youthful naivete to strip all the lining off and chip all of the plaster away. We tried sandblasting, but all that did was get black sand all over our yard. So we've basically been smashing it to pieces with sledge hammers. After an entire summer and most of this spring, about 2/3 of the plaster is gone. I know there's got to be a better way to go about doing this, even if it's way more expensive.

I'd like to get some opinions here. Is indiscriminate smashing the best way to remove all the plaster from our pool? Do we even have to remove the plaster at all, even if the problem was never actually with the plaster to begin with? In fact, it seems to be in fantastic shape, seeing as it takes an hour for four of us to take about five square feet off. But anyway, I'd like some help here. What do you suggest we do at this point?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-10, 04:39 PM
what was the original issue with the pool? What are you wanting to accomplish? New plaster? Paint? Usually there is no need to remove plaster. Do you have pics?

Old 04-28-10, 08:13 PM
Originally the lining was coming apart, and water was getting behind it. So we pretty much had to tear it all off. After we get all the plaster off, we were planning on painting it, as an immediate and temporary solution anyway. Somebody has told us to just stop where we are and basically just paint over the plaster. Would that make any sense?

I can take some pictures. I'll have them up tomorrow. But basically, it's an inground pool with about 2/3 of the plaster chipped off down to the concrete.

Old 04-29-10, 06:58 AM
best to paint over the plaster, what was the lining you are talking about? With the plaster you had a smooth surface to work with, with concrete it is pretty rough I would say. Make sure to use a primer...

Old 04-29-10, 11:16 AM
The lining I'm talking about was fiberglass. It's completely gone now, though.

So, it's alright to paint if it's mostly concrete with big patches of plaster? Or should we just take all of the plaster off at this point? And will we need to acid wash it or anything?

Old 04-29-10, 06:08 PM
yes it should be acid washed. Its a personal call onhow you want it to look. What is important is paint beingable to seal.