Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Jandy Salt System Not generating Chlorine

Old 05-27-10, 02:11 PM

Opened pool 2 weeks ago. Added salt to water and turned on the Jandy Chlorine system. Took water to my local pool store after 10 days for testing and surprised to find ZERO chlorine in pool. Added a little more salt (per water analysis) and cleaned Salt Cell with acid solution. Still nothing. It worked great in September. Any insight short of replacing the cell ($800)? Is there any way to trouble shoot, test, etc.? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-10, 07:39 PM
Does it indicate it is generating? Have you checked salt level with teststrips? Do you have conditioner (stabilizer) in your pool and proper amout? You can try super chlorinate...

Old 05-28-10, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the great questions. I took water samples to my local pool store to test salt, chlorine, ph, etc. Their input from last test was "everything else is fine, but you still don't have any chlorine." Super Chlorinate?

Old 05-28-10, 11:27 AM
there should be a function on your control to super chlorinate, or might turn it all the way up for 24 hours and see if it helps.
Is pool clear or green? If green, algae could be eating chlorine as fast as it is making it.

Was conditioner ok (cyaneric acid) ???

Old 06-01-10, 01:23 PM
Boosted pool (super chlorinate) for 24 hours and got nothing. Water is blue, but starting to turn a little green so I added shock. Did a thorough rinse of the salt cell with Muratic Acid. It didn't appear to be scaley, but did it anyway. Sound like the salt cell is just bad? Shouldn't be (3 years old and worked great last fall. Is there a way to test the salt cell other than just running it and testing chlorine in the pool? Any other things I should check / try?

Old 06-01-10, 02:46 PM
Is there a way to test the salt cell

I have the same dilemma, Is there a way to test the salt cell?

Old 06-01-10, 05:40 PM
I'm assuming you have the aquapure? It should have an error code if cell is not working. Have you tested the stabilizer in the pool? It must be 50-75ppm.
Does the display say "cell on"? What does it say?
Is % at 100% ?

Old 06-02-10, 01:52 AM
I have an Auto Pilot ST-220 soft touch

I have an Auto Pilot ST-220 soft touch w/ SC-48 cell

Old 06-02-10, 08:28 AM
Yes, I have the Aquapure. The cell does show "on." It shows operating at 75% right now. It's been 48 hours since I shocked the pool with chemical shock and will have the water tested again tonight. Will ask especially about stabilizer. Ph has been good both previous tests.....just no chlorine.

Old 06-02-10, 10:47 AM
jjj let me know what the stabilizer is at, it may be the problem, sounds like it is operating properly.

trane auto pilot also will let you know if there is cell problems, are you getting an error? You may have stabilizer issue as well, has it been tested?

Old 06-02-10, 11:17 AM
TROUBLE SHOOTING guide

Thanks for your reply. I did receive an error (Triple RED Flash)
Now if you believe the fold down panel TROUBLE SHOOTING guide it indicates the Tri-Sensor is the problem! after asking a repair person if this could cause a green pool and hearing a yes response I replaced this unit w/ cord. (NO CHANGE)

I did some more research using the TROUBLE SHOOTING guide in the OWNERS MANUAL & on Auto Pilot's Web site and found a (Triple RED Flash) indicated something "QUITE DIFFERENT" than the fold down " panel TROUBLE SHOOTING guide on the unit?
In those two places it indicated that a (Triple RED Flash) (Purifier production halted) A) Low Cell Volts & Amps Solution A) Power Supply

However a (Quadruple RED Flash) Purifier is producing) A)Tri-sensor cord loose or defective Solution A) Inspect and tighten or replace?

I spent a considerable amount of time, traveled a considerable distance, spent $250.00 because of inaccurate manufacturer TROUBLE SHOOTING instructions

Old 06-02-10, 12:22 PM
I'd be pretty upset also. So is it still showing error and if so 3 or 4 flashes? If pool is green I would go ahead and add some shock to get it clearing up so it doesn't get worse while we find the problem.

Old 06-02-10, 12:30 PM
3 flashes continuously The problem is the power Supply/Panel

I already cleaned it up looks great just have to add chlorine periodically until I gt a new unit.