Hayward H150 no Gas?

Old 06-16-10, 10:39 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hayward H150 no Gas?

Just moved into a house..pool hasnt been used in 3 years..got the pool all cleaned out, pump/filter running..but the hayward h150 is giving me issues. I've got the gas line turned on to it..but i'm not smelling any gas whatosever at the unit and the pilot light of course isnt lighting as a result. I had a pool company come out and take a look at it..the said the line gas is mostly likely clogged and I need someone to come out and blow air through the lines & clean it out? Does that sound right?

Old 06-16-10, 05:40 PM
there is no way a pipe can get clogged unless left unconnected somewhere. There is no way for trash to get into a gas line that is connected. Are you dealing with lp or nat gas?

Old 06-16-10, 09:38 PM
G
Natural Gas...I did notice that even though inside the unit the gas is turned off, its tap'd in from the meter..and that valve is open..and most likely has been open for 3 years now..so, is it possible the gas valve has gone bad from being open for 3 yrs w/the heater turned off?

Old 06-17-10, 07:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pool boilers out of commission for the season or longer can develop issues.

The most common one is that if gas sits in the pipe without being used for several weeks or longer, it wont burn and must be purged out.

If this is the issue, you can see the gas flow through the pilot blowing the flame around on your match when you push down on the gas valve control.

If you see that, you can either hold down the control for an extended period of time until you get some gas that will burn or open a union on compression fitting and vent off gas with the shut off valve.

The second issue is that pilot burners and pilot orifices get plugged up and need to be disassembled and cleaned. Rust and insects are common problems in pool boilers.

Old 06-17-10, 09:24 AM
I doubt it is the valve, but could be. I would loosen the union where the gasline goes into the heater, do you hear and smell gas?

"Yes" great, make sure no flames around and let bleed of for a minute then tighten back wait a few minutes let gas disperse, push pilot button and hold for about 15-20 sec then try to light. If no flame, before taking pilot apart simply take a pipe cleaner or other small object that will fit into pilot and clean out then try to light again...

"No" Then gas is off somewhere

Old 06-17-10, 11:39 AM
G
Thanks for the great ideas...this weekend I'l try opening the union where the gas line goes into the unit and that'll be a good start to diagnose the issue..I'm assuming since it hasnt been used in 3 yrs its probaby extremly clogged & dirty...but i'l report back with my findings after this weekend! Thanks everybody!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: