Are there any cons for a small pool?

Old 06-29-10, 11:52 AM
Are there any cons for a small pool?

We are considering a small pool mostly just to cool off. Doesn't have to be deep 4-5 feet is fine. Does a small pool size effect the water temperature any during the swim season? Problems with filtering or chemical issues? I would think it would be easier and cheaper to clean and run.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-10, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
We are considering a small pool mostly just to cool off
If you don't have AC I'd say spend the money on at least a 12000BTU window unit. That's the way to cool off.

Old 06-29-10, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think there would be a huge difference in operating costs over a larger pool. The smaller pool would get warmer, so that would work against you if the idea is to cool off.

Old 06-30-10, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
I had a very small pool, about 2'000 gallons and 3.5' deep just for cooling off. Because of it's small size the pool was faster than most to warm up in spring and faster to get too hot during the peak of the summer. I devised a cover for the hot summer months to shade the pool when we were not using it to help keep it cool and during the spring and fall I would lay a sheet of cheap black plastic on the surface for some low cost solar heating.

The pool had a filtration system designed for a much larger pool so cleaning was minimal though a whirlpool would develop when the filter ran so some debris always collected in one pile on the bottom in the center of the pool which made vacuuming easy. We had to watch the water level when backwashing the filter. The pool had to be filled a bit high to have enough water to do a proper backwash, and then needed refilling after the backwash. Chemical costs were minimal because the pool never needed much of anything.

Old 06-30-10, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
I had a very small pool, about 2'000 gallons and 3.5' deep just for cooling off. Because of it's small size the pool was faster than most to warm up in spring and faster to get too hot during the peak of the summer.
Dane I went out to Palm Springs one summer and the hotel pool (quite large actually) water was 94 degrees. Of course it was a 117 degree day too I wondered had the hotel tossed in a couple dozen large, 12"x12" blocks of ice in the evening if it would have made any difference the next day?

Old 06-30-10, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
I have frozen in the Luxor pool when it was 110+. If you can heat a pool I assume they can also refrigerated it.

The first season with our little pool I let it get too warm and there was very little I could do about it. I brought home several 10lb bags of ice and tossed them in which had almost no effect. Next season I was ready and had a shade cover ready. Keeping the sun off it helped a lot. It would still warm slightly during the day because of the high air temps but the cooler temps at night would balance it out.

Old 07-15-10, 09:37 AM
Pool chillers are available if you are willing to pay for them. I haven't seen one in use and don't know either the initial or operating cost, but living in the south have considered looking into one as my pool seems to get too hot around August. Ice blocks don't make a dent in my 13000 gallon pool - I've already tried even having an icehouse making a delivery directly into the pool during a party. No noticeable difference. However, running the waterfall at night does help.