Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

major pool leak at fitting....need advice...lots of pics

Old 07-17-10, 07:52 PM

I’m back again looking for advice in my new big problem, a leak; some of you remember my screen name and this pool from my major black algae infestation about 2 years ago.

We covered the pool this past winter for the first time, about a month into the season, I noticed we were loosing some water, then some more, then about 2 inches over a 4-5 day period, mostly just running the pump about 6 +/- hours a day.

Today I started to investigate and noticed water purging near the back side of the coping above one of the water returns….I got in the water for a better look, I held my hand over the water return and a lot of water was coming out of the crack between the coping and the sidewalk around the pool.

Here are a bunch of pics, more info about my dilemma and advice need below :

The general pic of the work area, leak is to the left above the left most water return…..my best guess is its leaking water out of the pool and there is a leak in the return pipe…..the evidence water leaks out is the water on the out side of the pool wall about equal height to the water in the pool, and the evidence the pipe is leaking ( when I hold pressure of my hand against it ) I can see water swirling outside the wall in the leak puddle.

after chipping away at some of the concrete to see what I was working with I uncovered a puddle of water and a cavern where the sand fill has been worn away from the leak.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-10, 07:55 PM
here is a shot from the back side ( note location of water in pool ) it appears to be a CBS block pool ???

just some more info about the fittings…

this pool was here when we bought the house, after some research I found out it had return fittings made by Jacuzzi ( the whirlpool people ) I guess you could get some bubbles out of these ( I never have been able to ) and the actual circulation of the pool has been very poor as far as I can remember. In the pics you can see where the air or extra water is to flow out of a top port, the worst thing I have ever seen, as they are recessed into the wall of the pool….I searcher for these a year ago as I had a broken one and at every pool store I went to they thought I was crazy ….

and a close of the fitting after being removed from the recessed stainless housing.

last but not least, when I have the pump running , circulating the water, the evidence is clear there is a leak outside the pool wall cause it fills the outside area very quickly ( thus most of the leak when the pump is running )

here is where I beg for advice and what to do on the next step….

In recap my issues again, leak from the inside of the fitting and a leak in the pipe on the outside of the pool wall……you can see from the pics I need to break up the concrete walk ( about 4 inches thick ) to get any more access to the outside of the pool wall, and I have no Idea how I gonna get my hands in the recessed stainless cup area to seal the leak from the inside out, the pipe appears to be threaded into the fitting in the wall, I don’t have an underwater camera for better pics of the fitting area.

I need to know if the putty ( looks like 2 part epoxy ) would help me on either side ??...does it look like I need to do some more exploratory digging on the outside….I would have to either seal the leak from the inside out or drop the water level below the return fitting to get a clearer ( dryer ) picture of the outside.

I welcome any and all suggestions and if anyone needs more info please ask…thanks

Old 07-17-10, 08:14 PM
here is a video link of how bad it leaks on the outside with the pump running, now I have uncovered the pipe and any sand-dirt-concrete holding the pressure back is gone ....

click the picture for it to start

Old 07-18-10, 02:04 PM
unfortunately at this point it looks like you are going to have to replace the return fitting or just a piece of pvc pipe. Some pools are built with just a pvc pipe coming through the wall and sealed. I would suggest a return fitting. You'll need to drop the water and core drill a hole larger than the return you use. You'll have to cut concrete behind (if needed) and dig out to the plumbing. Plumb new fitting in pipe then seal around the return with an appropriate epoxy. Hope this helps...