larrs lite 2

Old 09-01-10, 05:30 AM
Unhappy larrs lite 2

I have a laars lite 2 lg pool heater the pilot light won't stay on
It lights then shuts off. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-10, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
Don't know about spas, but with those symptoms on a gas water heater, furnace, etc the troubleshooting generally starts by checking or replacing the thermocouple. This is the sensor that protrudes into the path of the pilot flame. Its purpose is to cut the gas supply off if the pilot goes out. It senses the heat from the flame and opens normally. Dpending on how you heating system works the control knob or perhaps a separate button has to be pressed and held for several seconds until the sensor heats up after you light the pilot. Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-10, 06:13 AM
test pilot generator, you must have at least 500mv if over 500mv it is your gas valve.

Old 09-03-10, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Don't know about spas, but with those symptoms on a gas water heater, furnace, etc the troubleshooting generally starts by checking or replacing the thermocouple. This is the sensor that protrudes into the path of the pilot flame. Its purpose is to cut the gas supply off if the pilot goes out. It senses the heat from the flame and opens normally. Dpending on how you heating system works the control knob or perhaps a separate button has to be pressed and held for several seconds until the sensor heats up after you light the pilot. Hope this helps.
The pilot lights,when depressing the gas valve, as soon as i let up on the valve it goes out before i can even turn it to on position.
Where is the thermocoupler located?

Old 09-03-10, 06:41 AM
thermocoupler and pilot generator is the same thing. It is in the flame of pilot and has 2 wires running up to gas valve.

Old 09-04-10, 04:03 AM
Ok, now i got the pilot to stay on. I put the door back, turned to switch to on, and set the temp to max. ...... and the heater didn't kick on. Now What???

Old 09-04-10, 06:16 AM
did you test millivolts? You need to have a min 500mv

Old 09-07-10, 06:00 PM
Well after throughly cleaning out the heater, and trying to figure out why the pilot light would not stay lit, then it did, then the heater would not fire up. I gave in and called a repair guy, when he came the same day i called him (praise him) he said i needed a new gas valve and he didn't have one so i had to wait until he picked one up. When he came back, turned out i didn't need a gas valve at all, i needed a pilot and burner assembly,and a temp control unit. He spent about 4 hours working on it. Now when i flip the switch MAGIC everything works. Cost me a pretty penny, and i probably won't use the pool again unitl next summer. Anything special i need to know about closing down the pool heater for the winter?

Old 09-08-10, 08:03 AM
Throw some moth balls in the front corners inside heater, keeps spiders out. Make sure all water is out of heater and gas is off.