2000 Hot Springs Landmark with slow leak

Old 09-06-10, 04:14 PM
2000 Hot Springs Landmark with slow leak

Love my spa dearly, but over the winter it developed a slow leak and my husband and I have been topping off the water every few weeks since then. Just emptied it to clean it, so we thought it was a good opportunity to tip it on it's side and see where the water might be coming from. We have a alge growing on right corner if you are facing the control panel from outside the hot tub. We were disappointed to not find any noticable area where the water is coming from. The water drains down to just under the shoulder jets in the seat next to the filter compartment. We'd really like to get this fixed before winter but can afford the 2000+ the dealer told us it might cost to fix it. My husband has some experience with plumbing so we thought maybe this could be something he could do. Can anyone tell us how to find the leak? There is absolutely NO water in the pump compartment. The only place we see water is on the patio on the corner by the filter compartment. The wood supports underneath are soft from the water but the foam shows no sign of mold or alge or anything. do we just start digging foam out of the cavaties? thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-10, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Been about ten years since we owned a spa but I fixed similar leaks a couple of times. The first time I did like you and upended the beast and dug out some foam, after that it was easier once I discovered the source. In our case it was cracked jets/nozzles which could be replaced from inside with the tub upright. Ours had chrome trim rings over the plastic parts and once you pried them off the nozzle assemblies unscrewed from the parent plumbing which took a special "wrench". Depending on how yours is constructed it may be easier or harder, no telling, but probably worth the headache to at least try to remove a couple of the nozzles in the suspect area to check for cracks. Hope this helps.

Old 09-07-10, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Went hunting for a diagram and found this site:

Genuine Hot Spring factory replacement spa parts & accessories!

didn't have your model number so couldn't go any further, but looks like a promising place for info.

Old 09-07-10, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Are there any water/jet control knobs in the area? The water divert/control valves can develop a leak. In mine (Sovereign) it only leaked when the jets were running. If it seems to be leaking when the jets are not running I'd start digging out foam and look at the fittings and joints where they meet the tubing.

Old 09-09-10, 05:18 AM
Thank alot, didn't consider that it might be from inside the spa. I had run across the same parts site. My dealer in town will sell me the parts even if I (husband) do the work, so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again.

Old 09-09-10, 05:23 AM
Seems to leak when it's not running and during operation. At one point this summer we thought the leak stopped, all the water on the concrete had dried up, but then we used it and also did a PH and shock so it was running for 2 hours and there came the water again and it just kept leaking until the water dropped to below the shoulder jets. Its got to be something with those shoulder jets. I guess we'll attack from both angles... inside and under through the foam. Thanks for the posts, appreciate the help from everyone.

Old 09-09-10, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Buying the parts from your local Hot Springs dealer may not be a bad idea. Being able to talk to their service guys could yield some very good tips and advice. Well worth the cost of the parts.

I had a tricky leak with my spa and the service guys told me right where to look and what parts & tools I would need. They also told me the tricks to replace the part without fully draining the spa. They also gave me a "heads up" that it was going to be a physical job, which parts I should be careful handling and which part I should grab and pull as hard as I could. Just knowing that it would be a physically difficult job helped me allow enough time for the repair and to get into the mindset of what was to come.