cal spa heating problems

Old 12-04-10, 03:14 PM
cal spa heating problems

I have a 1998 cal spa and heve been having significant problems with it and need some help quickly. The heater all of a sudden stopped working and my 2 phase pump went out. I rebuilt the pump because the low speed wasnt working and i figured the water was flowing too fast to heat up. Now it still doesnt heat so i replaced the heating element. Its still not heating. Its snowing now and supposed to get colder this week. Does anyone have any ideas and or a way to jump the heater so my pipes dont start bursting?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-10, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Drain and winterize. Do it in the spring.

I dont know what pcb you have but the relays go. My board was $400 but I changed the relay for $6.00. You are parts changing. You can jump but how are you going to turn off??

Overheat fire, be careful.

It would be about $90-$150 if you called someone.

Mike NJ

Old 12-04-10, 07:56 PM
i just repaced the motherboard last year....how do i recharge the relay....i luv this thing in the winter!!! snows on the ground, sun shining, glass of wine and a hot woman on my side!!!!

Old 12-04-10, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Should be under warranty then.
\
What controls and board??>?

Old 12-14-10, 07:48 AM
I have a M1R1B - 54091 cb and i also still have the old one... I took my volt meter and put it on the #1 and #3 posts (which is where either end of the heat exchanger go) and It reads nothing.. and it does work because i can put it on other posts and get a reading. I would luv to be able to just change out the relays...any ideas?

Old 12-14-10, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
There are two fuses on that board. Did you check them? I am still looking for the schematic. There are 7 or 8 relays on that board and one can be bad. My board had the relays labeled so I new what relay was what.

Your board is around $250.00

Or this style

Image from actionsparepair.com

Shematic.

http://www.spacare.com/productimages...r%20Duplex.pdf

It could be alot of things and usually the panal throws a code. An example of issues are relay, flow switch, temp sensor ect. I think you can jump the heater relay for test purposes. What was wrong with the old board? Fix that board then swap them out.

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-14-10 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-14-10, 09:10 AM
yes the fuses are good... old board is the second style new board is the first... old board got a short at r 35 area and chard both of those realys (pretty sure... might be just one) but on the picture u have there is a circuit M between the 2 relays and it cracked open.

Old 12-14-10, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Basic troubleshooting of spa relays requires understanding and knowing how your spa works. No heat, for instance, and you said you have flow and know your high limit sensor is working you must isolate the circuit and backtrack through it. Knowing that your heater and pump will work together helps. If turning up your T-stat activates your low pump but not your heater relay then start at the coil of the relay. With the power on, and a call for heat, (thermostat up) Set your meter on volts: Measure voltage across the coil of the relay. This is the activating part of the relay. If you have 120 volts there then your relay should be activating. If it�s not, it�s bad. If you measure no voltage at the relay then your problem is upstream of it. Look for where it stops. Do you have power to the T-stat? Out of it? To the high limit? Out of it? To the flow switch? Out of it? Just trace the path. If you have power in, but not out, that will be your problem component.

This is dangerous.

Obviously power on tests require great care for your personal safety and some measure of experience with an electrical meter. Dont attempt these tests if you are beyond your comfort level. Call a qualified technician

Mike NJ