Cal Spa Filter settings

Old 12-12-10, 10:34 AM
Cal Spa Filter settings

We recently bought a new home with a Cal Spa 2000 model. The spa is a two button panel with the thermostat in a side panel. We don't know much about spas however we had a local company come out and show us the basics. While he was here, he informed us that the spa was not wired to a GFI and went ahead and replaced the breaker. The toggle switch is set to Freeze Protection. Since then, we have noticed that overnight, the spa filtered for about 2 minutes every 5 minutes or so. This morning it began filtering and went for nearly 4 hours. After doing some reading in manuals online, I believe the changing of the breaker may have reset the filtration setting to F4 therefore it filtered for about 4 hours this a.m. I have the following questions:

I'm curious to know how to change the filtration setting. What is ideal for near freezing temperatures and usage around 4 hours a week?

Also, it is back to the 2 minutes every 5 minutes thing... Does anyone know why it is doing this?

If the spa is set to Freeze Protection, is the timer still effective?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-10, 12:20 PM
sounds like you will need to find a manual for spa. Try cal spa website. Freeze protection is only suppose to turn on pump when temps are below freezing. I assume the timer will work its regular times set while in FP mode.

Old 12-24-10, 05:18 AM
Update! but I still have questions.... We had the new breaker switch installed and had the guy add some insulation to the tub.

Todrut - I found the manual and realized that we have a pneumatic tub. According to the manual, when the tub is set to freezer protection, it will maintain the temperature that the tub is set to. If it drops by more than 2 degrees, it will operate and heat. So this would explain the running every 5 minutes or so... Although, that was the reason we added insulation and it didn't seem to help. The top is not in great condition and the tub sits on a deck with about three feet of open space under the deck.

The issue now is that for the last day or so, the tub is running for extended periods of time... Perhaps hours. I noticed it yesterday however it's kind of hard to pay attention for that long... It just kicked off so I'm making note of the cycle times. What makes it go from running for 45 seconds every 5 minutes to running for hours at a time? Would turning off the breaker and waiting a little while to turn it back on do any good?

I'm also told by the company that there is an issue with a relay switch so at times when the tub is heating and the jets are on in the low setting, if you try to turn the jets to high, it cuts power off completely and has to be reset with the "bubble button" on the panel. Has anyone had this problem?

I'm worried with the tub running constantly we're adding to our electric bill but also risking ruining parts of the tub more quickly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.