Controlling water smell

Old 12-25-10, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Controlling water smell

I've been trying to keep my hot tub water from smelling. I add chlorine almost daily. I have shut it down for days and start it only when I want to use it or leave it on just drop the temp a few degrees. After a week or two, it starts smelling foul. I talked to another hot tub owner and was told he has an ozone system and has not had to change the water in over 6 months. I'm changing mine every 2-3 weeks. Without adding an ozone unit, what can I do to maintain the water without it smelling?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-10, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well...no expert..but I think you need to check your water chemistry. Shouldn't have to add chlorine that often. As I remember..there is something else you need to do to control the organics which cause the smell?

I agree about the ozone...my tub at my last house had it and I hardly ever messed with chemicals and also did a 4 month or so water change.

Old 12-25-10, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to maintain a chlorine or bromine reading in the tub constant using a floater. Then you need to shock once or twice a week depending on usage. The water also must be circulated(filtered) daily. Keep filter clean, soak monthly depending on usage maybe more.

Old 12-27-10, 03:26 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
We have an ozonator, but it broke a long time ago and not worth fixing. I liked it, but if we maintain our water chemistry we have no problems. I find that in-store testing is necessary; the test strips are ok in between in-store tests, but not good enough on their own.

I've found quite a difference in test results when I've taken samples to two different places-try it, maybe you will get more accurate results elsewhere.

You shouldn't have to change water nearly that often; we are a family of 3, and change 2 or 3 times a year.

I've posted asking about a test kit (like in-store) to purchase for home use, but got no responses. Does anybody use them?