Pool is losing water

Old 12-28-10, 08:59 PM
Pool is losing water

Hi guys,

I have an in-ground pool here in Florida, and recently i noticed the skimmer basket was starving for water. I ran the garden hose directly into the skimmer and that helped remove the air from the system. We then forgot about it and over filled the pool. The overflow tube eventually removed much of the water for us into the yard, but we continued to lose water down to the bottom of the skimmer basket again. It seems to be content at this level.

I've since turned the pump off until i can figure out what is going on. Any ideas on what might be causing this? It has been cold down here, but this seems strange.

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-10, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Isolate if its pool or plumbing. Plug all plumbing. Skimmers, returns, main drains,,,ect then fill pool to proper height and mark. Do you lose water? If so its leaking around one of what you plugged. If not its in your plumbing somewhere and you will need to pressure test sections of plumbing to find what line is leaking.

Mike NJ

Old 12-29-10, 10:34 AM
Thank you. I'm thinking it has something to do with the skimmer since it seems to stop when it reaches the bottom of that. But if i come up with a goose egg there, then i will attempt to plug everything.

Old 12-29-10, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Ohh, liner pool????

Mike NJ

Old 12-29-10, 11:27 AM
No sir, it is an in-ground concrete pool.

Old 12-30-10, 09:31 PM
And the problem is ...

I'm not sure what it is, but my wife noticed there was water puddling around it. I remember seeing my 75-lb German Shepherd with his lead wrapped around it last week. The right and center tubes are completely broken and the water was seeping out of the big center tube. I had to drain the pool water out about three inches below the top tile to get it to stop leaking. Also found a rather profound cavern behind and to the left of the object that is probably going to need filled in. It goes in about two feet underneath the pool deck. Doesn't seem to be very deep or wide from my initial assessment.

Does anyone know what this thing does?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 12-30-10, 09:36 PM
I suspect the leaking water caused the cavity in the earth behind it.

Old 12-31-10, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Looks like a vacuum breaker. This is so you dont get sucked in the drain I think.

Mike NJ

Old 12-31-10, 10:44 AM
I hadn't thought of that. The right and middle tubes have wires in them, and it would seem that the left tube just dead ends into the ground. I was thinking it had something to do with the pool light, since it is down at that end.

Old 12-31-10, 12:20 PM
In any case, is there a way to test to see if it is hot with a voltmeter?

Old 12-31-10, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Yes a pool light junction box.

Mike NJ

Old 01-01-11, 08:32 AM
I'm guessing that this being above ground has something to do with the light being under water?

And if this is it, then is that left tube supposed to be venting into the ground?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 01-01-11, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
I dont know, but I assume you are not supposed to get water out of those lines. Hopefully a pool guy will help out here.

Mike NJ

Old 01-03-11, 07:57 AM
Well, i switched the breaker off for the pool light and didn't get electrocuted when i dismantled the junction box. Bought new pvc, reglued, reinstalled the wiring (took a good picture beforehand), and so far, no more leaks. Oh, and there's a new fence around it to keep the dog from getting tangled around it.