Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Brand New Booster Pump Making Loud Noises

Old 01-17-11, 11:15 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Got a question that I'm hoping this forum can help with. My old booster pump (Polaris PB4-60) started making really loud noises so I bought a new one and installed it. When I started the new pump up, it's making noises very similar to the old one. I took the whole thing apart again to make sure I didn't have anything in the intake line hiding somewhere and I did not find anything.

Water is definitely getting to the pump and through it. When the pump first starts, it runs quietly but after about 30 seconds to a minute in, it just starts making the loud noise again and continues for as long as the pump runs. Since it's brand new, I strongly doubt it's the bearings. Similar, the volute should be in good shape also as it's new. Any ideas on what could be causing the noise?

If you need additional info, pictures, etc. just let me know.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-11, 02:18 PM
O
Hey there!

We use a lot of pumps at work, and when we get a noise that we can't be 100% sure of it's origin, I will disconnect the pump from the motor and then run the motor from a bench. If at all possible I would try and do this. And as the motor is running, turn it on it's side, upside down, etc to see if the noise ci coming from the motor bearing. I would even use some means to apply pressure to the shaft of the motor to simulate a load (as if the pump were connected). About 50% of time it would be a motor bearing.

If you replaced the pump & motor, then I would suspect cavitation. Air has a mysterious way of getting into a pump housing and staying there. An impellor slapping water in the housing will make all kinds of funny sounds.

Is this booster pump on a hydronic heating system?

Old 01-17-11, 08:33 PM
S
Thanks for the response. I'm suspecting cavitation also, but not real sure what to do about it. I had very strong flow in my opinion, but I'm no expert. When no water lines are hooked up to it, the motor was very quiet and it's very quiet when it first starts up also. Any ideas on what could be causing the cavitation and how to remedy?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-18-11, 02:36 PM
O
So, this is hydronic heat, and you have some sort of radiators? If so, I am familiar with cavitation with them. You need to bleed the air off. At the highest point of the system, there should be some bleed valves. The system I am familiar with is with the 10,000 pound radiators and each of them had a small bleed valve. I would have to open them once in a while to let the air out. I can't say I know it gets in but that's how we removed it. You obviously let air into the system when you removed the pump. There must be something on your radiators to let the air out. Or maybe there is a tee somewhere with a valve at a higher point in the home that you need to open until you get 100% water?

Other than that, I think I would ask the guys/gals in the boiler/hydro heating department.