Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Proper way to drain a pool... NOT IN MY GARDEN

Old 05-14-11, 09:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We have a neighbor that just moved in last fall. They drained their pool by running a hose across their lawn. Unfortunately, the hose was not long enough to reach the street, so their lawn flooded, and the excess water ran into our front garden, flooding the plants. When brought to their attention, we got an apology.

Well, the same neighbor just drained all the rainwater out of their pool, and the same thing happened. My wife almost flipped on them.

I'm sure this is not legal. Even if it is, it's certainly not polite. How is the hose not long enough to reach the street? I've read that pools usually have a drain somewhere on the property that go directly to a sewer line. Is this true? I've never had a pool.

Old 05-15-11, 05:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Critical Mass
... How is the hose not long enough to reach the street? ...
Because it is too short. They just need to get a longer hose. One that can reach all the way to the street. They can probably just attach another section to the end of the hose they already have.

Old 05-15-11, 04:08 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, yes, obviously. I should have asked, "How is that a valid excuse?" not just once, but twice.

Old 05-16-11, 07:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I am sure you have the law on your side. You neighbor cannot direct water onto your property causing harm. The trouble is that it's up you to enforce it. You've got to live with your neighbor and lawyers are expensive. It's a tough situation (as I'm sure you already know). I do have to chuckle though at the thought of you having to knock on the front door and say "don't be so cheap and buy a longer hose".

Old 05-16-11, 08:24 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A backhanded approach might be to offer the loan of your hose for the next time they need to drain it. Worst case is you come up short one hose, but it eliminates their "short" excuse.

Better yet, give them your old hose and buy yourself a new one, less expensive than a lawyer and better for neighborhood relations .

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 05-16-11 at 08:26 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-19-11, 08:10 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
All the inground pools that I know about including mine have a position on the pool filter control valve called 'waste'. This will direct the water to a sewage line as you said unless this was not ever connected that way. Perhaps your neighbor is not aware of this normal method of draining pools, or he has a control valve with less positions. This control valve is used regularly to rinse and backwash the filter. Is he hooking up the hose to an external water pump? You could always see if he will show you his valve and if it is a 6 position value it will have a 'waste' setting. At that point you could mention that he might either read the manual or get some professional instruction if this is his first pool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: