Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Aquarite Cell was scraped with metal knife. Repercussions?

Old 06-15-11, 02:32 PM

I didn't notice the manual stating NOT to use metal to scrape stuff out of the cell until after I already did with a metal steak knife.

Without the flaming, can someone tell me the repercussions of such an act. I understand that I could have scraped off some "coating". But, what purpose does the coating serve?

My system still operates without any errors, but because of the previous buildup it wasn't showing correct salt levels and I kept adding salt. So, now my salt level is too high and am draining to correct. However, there is not a High Salt warning and it appears that the SWG is generating Cl because I see the tiny bubbles spewing out of the jets.

I tested the pool and all levels appear perfect (except salt as mentioned), but my 5 yr old daughter is constantly getting "burning eyes" after swimming. Could this be caused by the High salt level (approx 4800) or could it be that the coating I scraped off is causing another problem, like too much Hydrogen gas production or something?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-11, 08:59 AM
If the cell is still generating for you, the amount of damage could be minor. As you probably know by now the correct way to clean a cell is by soaking in a 4 to 1 water/muriatic acid solution. Also consider the cause of the calcium buildup and consider using products such as scaletec that at least in my case virtually eliminated this problem. The coating is required for the cell to function at it's peak and it is when over time this coating wears off from water particles that the cell will generally fail. Hopefully your cell will continue to perform for you once you get the salt level down to between 2700 and 3400 ppm