Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

What speed should I set my new Pentair intelliflo Variable Speed pool pump at?

Old 07-25-11, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this has probably been asked before.....but, what speed or speeds should I set my Pentair intelliflo Variable Speed pool pump at to achieve good power efficiency and still maintain a turn over rate of anywhere from 1 to 2 times a day for a 24,000 gallon pool. And How long should it run at them speeds? I was running my old pump....a single speed 1 HP 3450 rpm for 8 hours a day to keep the pool clean. I'm not even sure what that turn over rate was.

Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-11, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Not an expert but what is the GPM of that pump on high?

Then figure how many hours to turn over 24,000 gal

Lets say 4 hours to turn over 24000 gals on high.

Then you would run it at 1/2 speed and double the time to get the same turnover rate. That would be 8 hours.

Run at 1/4 speed and it would be 12 hours.

My two speed pump I run on low 16 hours a day. That uses the same electric as if I ran my pump on high 4 hours a day. So I essentially cut my pool electric use in half. Plus its better to have longer water movement.

Your lucky. Those pumps are pricey. You could probably calculate your optimal lowest speed and run close to 24 hours a day.

Mike NJ

Old 07-26-11, 03:30 PM
Looks like it pumps :

120-140 gallons per minute on High 3450 rpm's using 2370 watts. So it would take 3.3 hours.
100-120 gpm running 3110 rpm's using 1800 Watts. 4 hours.
80 - 100 gpm running 2350 rpm's using 846 Watts. 5 hours.
40 - 60 gpm running 1560 rpm's using 274 Watts. 10 hours

Guess I'll try the 1560 rpm's for 10 hours. Just hope there is enough circulation going on. Should get considerable savings considering I was running the old one at 3450 rpm's for 10 hours.

Yes the pumps are pricey....I found mine for $900 on line. My electric company is offering a $600 rebate so I only have to come up with $300 and I should save that in the first year or less of use. If I get more than 1 year out of the pump it will be gravy after that. I've replaced the old style pumps 3 times out of the 3 years I've had the pool at $200 a shot.

thanks for the info....

Dave

Old 08-23-11, 05:42 AM
What size plumbing do you have? What type of filter? Is the pump stand alone or is it hooked up to an automation system?