Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Hayward Super Pump 2 HP for Swimming Pool

Old 09-08-14, 08:15 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I did not know if this was the right area to post this so please move to appropriate area if need be. I figured this is the best place to start as I received a lot of guidance for my radiant heat, etc. with head pressure and GPM.

I am dealing with something different and need some assistance. I have a pool pump that has a 2 hp. super pump with 2" plumbing. 2 Main Drains and 2 Skimmers and 8 returns. I know there will be some loss on the returns as the jets are smaller then 2". The total feet in length is as follows:

Each supply is about 100' (This includes the main drains and 2 skimmers). Total 300'. Then I have returns of 100' each for a total of 200'. So in theory the total is about 500' of 2" tube length with a Hayward super pump. Considering I do not have flow meters at the pool plumbing it is hard for me to gauge my flow. This would be nice. I am probably over on the plumbing as I have measured everything with a tape measure.

At 30' of head pressure I am able to put out 120 GPM, while of course the curve scales down. I was told by the pool company the 2" plumbing with this octal circulation will produce the maximum GPM per hour.

I am trying to figure out how long to run the pump (of course). Pool is 14,700 gallons. At maximum capacity I am at 7200 gallons per hour. If this was the case I would only need to run the pump for 2 hours per day to turn over the water 1X. In the middle of the curve it would be 4 hours per day. The pool company recommended 10 hours per day, which I find it hard to believe that I would need that much filtering. The water is crystal clear.

Was looking for some guidance. Thank you.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-10-14 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Subject line typo fix
Old 09-08-14, 10:05 AM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yeah, the boiler forum is not the right place... I'll see if I can find the correct place after I thow in my 2cents.

Even though the system might be moving 720 GPM and the pool is roughly twice that, does not mean that ALL the water in the pool is making it's way through the filter system. Remember that the water going back to the pool is mixing with the water that's already in the pool.

You might in fact need to run for 10 hrs a day to ensure that ALL the water gets filtered.

By the way, and even more off topic... I was rooting for Kacy! Do you know what I'm talking about?

Old 09-08-14, 10:47 AM
C
No, do not know Kacy, sorry. Nice to hear from you and that makes a little more sense. You had helped me a lot with the radiant years ago.

And you are correct all the water is constantly mixing together so the turn over is not as much as I would think. It is not a closed system like the radiant heat (outside the holding tank for hot water)

I have been basing this on the water clarity and precise testing. In the hot days over 90 degrees the filter must run for at least 8 hours. I will not run less then 6 hours and will make sure my levels are up to where they should be and water is clear. Assuming this is the reason why it is so difficult to find information on pools.

Thank you.

Old 09-08-14, 03:46 PM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You had helped me a lot with the radiant years ago.
Years? Already? I do remember your name... just don't seem that long!

I have been basing this on the water clarity and precise testing
I would say to experiment ... keep testing, and if the water is clear and the chemical balance is good for disinfection, then cut back to the minimum time you need to maintain the water.

Kacy Catanzaro was a contestant on a TV show my wife watches, thought she might be related.

Old 09-08-14, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Here you are... in the pool forum.

I would say to experiment ... keep testing, and if the water is clear and the chemical balance is good for disinfection, then cut back to the minimum time you need to maintain the water.
That's the same advice I would give you. I've never computed the rate of flow but I've found out thru trial and error that 8-10 hours a day works pretty well for my pool. (It's approx 21k gallons)

Old 09-08-14, 04:55 PM
C
You had asked me that before, 2 years ago. Catanzaro is a province of Italy in Calabria near where I am from. The good news is the pool is closed in a week, just as the heat is not needed in the spring and air conditioning is not needed in the summer.

Talk to you soon and always appreciate your help.

Thanks !

Old 09-08-14, 04:58 PM
C
So far so good with my pool. Stop listening to the Pool Store about phosphates and non-chlorine shock and running my frog system on empty. No more mineralizer or bac pac that cost a fortune. My levels have not changed in 2 months outside the daily dose of 12.5% liquid chlorine. Water is crystal clear but weather is quickly changing and I doubt we will get another day in before next week with school starting, etc.

Thanks again !

Old 09-08-14, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Baking soda, bleach, and borax is all thats needed for a vinyl pool..

Also your 2 hp pump is huge... IMO 2 speed pump. You can run pump on low probably 24/7 and save more $ on electric then running 8 hours on hi..

Only run on hi for vacuum and party's with lots of people.

I run mine on low 12 hours a day on lo......

Last edited by lawrosa; 09-08-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-08-14, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I just closed mine today..... it seems like the swimming season gets shorter and shorter.
I'm looking forward to next season.... pressure washing and repainting.

Old 09-09-14, 04:52 AM
C
My pool was built last November and I will not swap out the pump at this point. It is 2" plumbing with a 350 LB. Sand Filter and a 2 HP Pump. I can just tell that the pump is over - rated and that is why I cut back on the time. Just checked the levels this morning and they are all good. I have not had to add anything to the pool for PH, Alkalinity, Calcium or Stabilizer. Only Liquid Chlorine. Now that the weather is breaking the chlorine consumption is definitely a lot less.

Old 09-09-14, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator
I can just tell that the pump is over - rated and that is why I cut back on the time.

Yes but water not moving is not good. So you run the filter for say 4 hours a day.Thats 20 hours in the sun with no movement.

Slow and steady winds the race...

I have an out door timer. 4 hrs on, 2 off, 4 hrs on, 2 off...etc.

Like I said I can run my 1 hp pump on lo 24/7 and used less electric then the pump on hi for the 8 hr turn around time...

Just a thought is all....

Old 09-09-14, 06:16 AM
C
No, I plan on running the pump for 8 hours next year just like you said. 4 hours on 2 hours off 4 hours on 2 hours off.

On @ 10 a.m. -2 p.m. and On 4 p.m. -8 p.m. With the pollen season you actually would need the running.

Thank you.

Old 09-09-14, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
I would probably do 1 hr 8 times a day...

Old 09-11-14, 12:29 PM
S
when running a chlorinated pool, I believe its better to run the pump at night--keeps the chlorine in the water longer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: