Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Draining the Last Few Inches from Above Ground Pool

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-11, 07:59 AM

My wife and I are ending our first year as pool owners and are trying to take down our 20' round Intex soft sided above ground pool. We have drained nearly all of the water, but there is still several inches remaining in the bottom of the pool below the drain connector. How do we get that last few inches of water out? It is still enormously heavy, so we need to remove it to take the pool down.

Would collapsing the sides be all we'd have to do? Will we need to buy longer pump hoses and use the pump to drain it? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Are you on any kind of a hill so that you could use a hose to create a siphon?

Old 10-20-11, 08:52 AM
let the air out of the top ring and water will drain right out. You could use a siphon or even a small pump.

Old 10-20-11, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Drain the air out of the ring and on the lowest side have someone stand on it or place something heavy on it to squish the ring down flat. Then go around to the other side and lift, slowly working your way to the low spot as the water drains.

Old 10-20-11, 09:22 AM
I should clarify, the pool has soft sides, but it supported by a metal frame so there is nothing to deflate. It looks like this but without the perfect sod and the huge party.

The walls are 52" high. We do have a slope and can get the drain end of the hose below the suction end, but have not been able to get a siphon running, (not enough lung power--is there another way?)

Old 10-20-11, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Put the whole hose in the pool so it can fill with water (you will have to manipulate the hose a bit under water to get all of the air out). Then cap the end (your hand should be fine for this) as you pull it out of the pool and carry it to the downhill location. Once you let go with your hand on the free end with the hose full of water and the other end in the pool, you should have your siphon.

Old 10-20-11, 10:36 AM
Bingo!

That's the information I needed! Thanks. I'll report back with results. (Today is too cold to mess with it...maybe tomorrow.)

Old 09-02-14, 06:56 AM
When it comes down to draining the last bit of water, the shop vac thing is to much of a pain for me.
I have an Intex easy fill 20x12x48in oval. I actually backwash the whole pool empty (sides fall inward always staying in the water till the last few inches.) keeping a very close eye on the levels. With my hose attached to the weighted vacuum I put that at the center of the pool. It took about 3-4 hours to get down as far as it would go leaving about 2 may 3 inches in the deepest slant.

Then I took my $10 dollar (search amazon) "Aqueon 06092 Water Flow Control Valve Assembly"

Robot Check

and connected that to my water spigot outside. Using a 50 foot no kink hose (cant be soft or it will cave in and pinch)

Put the male end of the hose in the lowest point (may have to hold it straight up and near flush with the floor toward the end of the drain.) And turn the faucet on. The better the water pressure the faster the drain. When the majority of that is gone THEN I use the wet/dry vac to get any other puddles and ready it for a towel dry.

Attachment 37539

Attachment 37538

Old 09-02-14, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Hello. Thank you for your help, however, I'm sure after 3 years, their pool is drained and long gone!

Closed Thread