Indoor jetted tub pump motor repair?

Old 01-31-09, 04:05 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Indoor jetted tub pump motor repair?

I have a problem with an indoor bathroom model Kohler jet tub pump motor. Suddenly stopped working. It has a built in heater and a circuit board controller attached to it's base. I replaced the circuit board and capacitor, but not even a buzz out of the motor. MOtor seems to spin freely. Wasn't really used much since new either. It runs off 110-125 volt outlet which is working fine.

They (Kohler) don't make the pump/motor assembly (pt#73533) anymore (just my luck) and even if they did they're crazy expensive. The part number for just the motor itself is #73534. Is there a good website for locating used jet tub pump motors or even motor rebuild kits? I'm not having any luck with Ebay or craigslist so far.

Old 02-01-09, 07:07 AM
B
BTW the motor is a Kohler brand actually mfr. by Emerson, 1hp, 115v, at 3450 rpm.

Motor part # 73534 again a discontinued item. The whole unit as a pump assembly is 73533.

If I could post attachments you could see the parts diagram I have.

As a another bit of info, the reason I'm trying to stick with this particular unit is the pump/jet on/off switch is a single push button type (single speed?) whcih plugs into the circuit board via a phone jack style connector. Newer have some sort of pump switch etc. So to avoid having to change that out too I want to salvage this one. Backup plan is to use another pump and simply rig an on/off switch (i.e. light switch on wall) if push comes to shove.

Old 02-09-09, 03:33 PM
B
So does anybody know of any useful websites to search for used pump motors, parts, etc.?

Old 02-24-09, 08:09 PM
B
Crickets......folks you're telling me either you're not interested, or really this is not the place for the an answer??

IS there not any website/s that can help me find a solution outside of googling my night away trying to hap-hazardly stumble across one or two decent sites?

Forgive my impatience, it's just that I typically get good answers most of the time off this website. But I'm frustratingly stagnant right now.

Old 02-25-09, 05:53 PM
Hi, sorry I don't know how this post got past me, lets see if I can help...
First, the motor and the pump are 2 different parts, while the pump might be made by kohler and as you stated the motor is an emerson. You should be able to get a replacement motor and just put the wet end (pump) on it. There should be a tag on the motor itself with info we will need to find replacement. What does it say? HP? Frame? Shaft?
Second, have you tried to direct connnect motor to a 110 source bypassing the board and heater? This would help determine that it is infact the motor.
Let me know what you find out...

Old 02-26-09, 12:08 PM
B
Thanks for the reply. The basic motor info is mfr. by Emerson, 1hp, 115v, at 3450 rpm. The circuit board is mounted directly underneath the motor sor to finside the plastic base or stand. Of course several wires comes from the motor and connects to the circuit board. The actual power cord is connected direct to the circuit board. I cut and kept the old power cord from the old circuit board. If I knew which wires to connect going to the pump I would try it since that's not a bad thought.

Once I'm back home near the motor I'll post the wire colors and maybe you or someone else could head me in the right direction connecting the old power cord direct to see if the motor will spool up.

I thought my next step would be to take the motor apart (as best i could) and see if I could clean it up a bit internally like you would an old starter one is trying to keep alive. Is there sites to order rebuild kits maybe?

Old 02-26-09, 06:06 PM
A picture or few would help as well... You're not going to find a rebuild kit, best bet if it is bad is to take to electrical motor shop for rebuild.

Old 02-27-09, 08:02 AM
B
I'll post pics later but here's some more info read straight off the two or three lables stuck on it:

First sticker
Mfg Date: 04/04/2001
SKU: 1418-CC0-AA
Model: Memoirs Bath Whirlpool
Mfr: Kohler Co.
Serial #: T01D1165
Electrical Rating: 1 HP Pump/Heater
120V, 60Hz, 16.5 A
Uses 2 wires W/Ground

Emerson Sticker
Model: C%%CXGDF-#%$@ CAT
Volts: 115
HP 1, RPM 3450
AMPS 11.4
HP 1/8 RPM 1725
AMPS 3.1
Thermally Protected Auto

Kohler Sticker
Model No. 73533

Just looked to see if I could post a pic I already had of the circuit board and wiring, but it says on here I can't post pictures?.....Why is that?

Old 02-27-09, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I think you had your caps lock on when you put in the motor model.

Members can't post pics directly. You need to upload them to sharing site like PhotoBucket or Flicker then copy the IMG info into your post.

Old 02-27-09, 11:30 AM
B
Sorry about that. Here's that portion corrected :

Emerson Sticker
Model: C55CXGDF-3542 CAT
Volts: 115
HP 1, RPM 3450
AMPS 11.4
HP 1/8 RPM 1725
AMPS 3.1
Thermally Protected Auto

Old 02-27-09, 11:55 AM
B
Hopefully this works

Shot of the labels
Pic-1: http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCN0147.jpg

Nuther label
Pic-2: http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCN0145.jpg

View of where the phone cord/jack style on/off is connected to the circuit board and where the power cord is hard wired to the circuit board inside the plastic base.
Pic-3: http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCN0142.jpg

View of the motor/pump assembly
Pic-4: http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCN0141.jpg

Old 02-28-09, 08:47 AM
95% chance that your local pool store can get you a replacement motor for your pump. They will have a cross reference they can use. They will also be able to test it for you.

Old 03-02-09, 03:44 PM
B
I'm trying to avoid the expense of a new one ($300-700?) as opposed to giving it a shot at doing something myself. Barring getting some sites to explore or other out of the box ideas, i'm going to first take a stab at breaking it down to see if it can simply be cleaned up or something. I like the idea of hooking up a direct plug, but as I mention above I'm not sure which wires from the bundle at the circuit board i would want to do this with without frying osmething else. I'll take a few shots of the wire setup and post as well.

Until then, any tricks to taking these type of motors apart for a good cleaning?

Old 03-02-09, 05:57 PM
When I speak of replacement motor, it should be in the range of 100-150 bucks. If you feel comfortable testing the motor you can hook wires to the 2 spaded prongs on plug, nothing on the round one and plug into a 110 outlet briefly to see if motor runs. Opening and cleaning will more than likely do nothing, won't help. Test it first, lets go from there...

Old 03-03-09, 06:29 AM
B
Ok I'll try that without connecting the round ground plug. Looking at it again last night briefly before being tugged away, I think I have a pretty good idea on which two wires to start with.

Reason I'm thinking cleaning is I used to havce an old V-8 boat and the starter due to condensation would paste up wioth a rusty colored muck from the condensation factor of the bilge. Since there happened to be plenty of room for access I would take out the starter once a year for what would be three years because the starter would simply do nothing. I then would take it out, take it apart, clean it up as best I could, put together and it would fire up like a champ the rest of the summer until it sat a long time and mucked up again usually over the winter.

You see the reason I'm thinking cleaning is I live on the water here, and in 2003 (2 years after the new tub was put in) we were struck by hurricane Isabel, the tide rose exceptionally high, and my house flooded with about 12 inches of "salt water". The motor/pump assembly of course got immersed. For a couple of years it worked just fine, then suddenly stopped. There is some rust invasion etc. Circuit board fried at some point since I fouind sooted portions of the board. I replaced it. Replaced the capacitor too. The motor spins freely when done with a cordless drill and does it quietly with like no friction sounds of any sort. So that's a little background as to why I think a good cleanup might be worth the effort.

Old 03-13-09, 03:12 PM
B
Well i jumped in and took the pump apart. Found the brushes with a little surface corrosion, and a ground nut/bolt that mounts to the metal body severely corroded. Two green wires were conencted to it. So I'm going to gingerly clean all that up with a small brass wire brush, and some spray electrical cleaner. Problem is those four long skinny bolts that goes the entire length of the motor holding both the end caps on, well two of them didn't survive the dismantling. They broke off at the nut end. Where do you think I would find replacements for these?

As you can see from the linked pics, it's hard to discern which wires I would use to connect a power cord direct to the motor to see if it would run without the circuit board (pics also linked) It would take few trial/error runs to hit it. Can anyone tell from the pics which i would try once i got it back together?

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...ofDSCF0799.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...ofDSCF0803.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCF0802.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCF0805.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCF0809.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCF0806.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...e/DSCF0800.jpg

Old 03-28-09, 09:16 AM
B
TTT.....haven't got back to it until this weekend. Busy with work and travel.

So giving it another chance. Would really like to determine which wires I would temp connect to a three prong plug for a quick test to see if the motor functions by itself without the circuit board controller connected. I did take it apart and clean up the brushes inside which were a bit rusty along a badly corroded ground connector. With all the wires it's hard to figure which ones for the plug and which ones to not use or splice together for this test.

Old 04-29-09, 09:24 AM
B
Well i cleaned and put back together with no positive results. Can anyone tell me which wires i would connect to the two prongs to see if it will spool up without the circuit board? The final step I want to try before throwing in the DIY towel and heading off to the pool store for replacement info.

Old 10-20-09, 01:31 PM
L
Same pump same problem

I have the exact same pump and the exact same problem. I see your last posting was April 2009. Obviously interested in any solution you may have found.

Old 10-17-11, 05:31 PM
E
Any luck

I have the same problem I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone has had lucl in finding an alternastive to this motor?

Old 10-20-11, 05:33 PM
F
same pump, won't start, anyone find a solution or replacement pump???

I have the same pump/heater with a Kohler Revival tub I just purchased. Pump Model number: C55CXGDF-3642 CAT, KOHLER PART NO: 73534-AA
Did you or anyone find a way to fix this pump?
Or a pump to replace it?
Thank you!
FS2020

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: