Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

In ground pool need to lower water - how low?

Old 11-17-11, 07:04 PM

Hi, I understand if you have an in ground swimming pool if you remove all the water in it the pool will crack due to pressure from the water table.

I have a concrete pool with depth varying from 5' to 8' deep. Location is Miami so we do have fairly high water table here.

I need to drain as much water as possible when the property is under construction. Is there any guideline as to what is a safe level to low it to or a way to determine that? The lower the better but I don't want the pool to crack.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-11, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
need to drain as much water as possible when the property is under construction.
Why is this?

I would not take the risk. I have heard about pools floating out of the ground in Florida once the water is remove.

It all depend of where the water table is at when your going to do it.

If its a safety issue with construction workers, just get a winter cover for it. The kind that holds an elephant. That will be way cheaper then a new pool if it decides to turn into a boat!!!!!

Mike NJ

Old 11-18-11, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Often pools in Florida have a drain system installed around the perimeter of the pool on the outside. A pump is hooked up to it to pump down the water table locally around the pool. Then, the pool can be safely drained. The groundwater pump, the one keeping the water table down, usually must be kept running or run periodically as long as the pool is empty. A good option if doing repairs on the pool but if you need to work around the pool for a longer period I would go with the cover idea or build a temporary deck of wood over the pool.

Old 11-18-11, 08:12 AM
Good replies but I just have to say. Contact a local dealer, the water table is inches from ground. pools do float easily in FL. Have a pool pro come out and do it this way they are liable, if you can get someone to do it.

Old 11-18-11, 10:23 AM
Safety is not the issue in this case.

The property is undergoing construction and will be for the next six months with quiet a bit of traffic of people walking by.

I am thinking now we are entering the dry season down here.

The water has been getting construction sawdust, leaves etc...and not been regularly maintained, and no point doing it while the mess is happening. Just last week someone dropped a box of drywall screws into it. And it's impossible to get them all out. Last months a piece of gutter fell into it during demolition. I will be completely draining it one day anyways to acid wash and diamond brite it.

Just thinking if I can get water much lower, I can use less chemicals and it can also make it easier to fish out debris. In additon, one of the pool lights is not coming on, and it's about 24" below and I need to have it looked at anyways.

I am not talking about emptying it completely. But I know lowering it by 12 to 18 inches is not a problem as I routinely do during the summer. But can I lower it 36"? 48"? and still be OK?

Old 11-18-11, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think you can get as specific an answer as you want remotely like this, you need to have someone familiar with your area come out and advise you.

Old 11-18-11, 04:08 PM
you should get a pool cover (tarp) and water bags to secure it over the pool. Will keep out all debris and you can shut of pump and not use any chemicals. It would basically be closing the pool for the winter like we do up north.
Would NOT go 36-48" even though dry season water table stays only couple inches in most areas.