Pool Care in Florida

Old 12-30-11, 09:13 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool Care in Florida

My daughter lives in the Ft. Myers Florida area and during the winter months they don't use their pool at all but have been told that they need to leave their filter run every day for 8 hours.

They have an inground pool that is made of cement but was sprayed with some kind of coating that is rough like small shot pieces. It's a large pool but I don't know how many gallons it holds.

I told them to turn off their filter for the winter since they don't use it just as we do in the north states and clean it in the spring with chlorine and filtering.

Is there a good reason why they should leave it on and if they did turn it off about how much per month would they save on the electric bill?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-11, 05:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Just curious as to why they don't use it year round. Pools are like boats. Holes into which you pour money, so skimping on maintenance wouldn't be good. The moderator of this section lives in the sandy state, near her, and could probably give much better advice on this, so hang in there, as he'll be along shortly.

Old 12-31-11, 02:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I used to live in fla and while I never owned a pool when I lived there, I knew many that did. For the most part everyone used their pool year round although the rich used propane heat for their pools and the rest used solar heaters that floated in the pool. IMO it's better to maintain the pool than to have to spend extra money to bring it back to a useable state.

Old 01-07-12, 05:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yeah, when my wife and I met she had a house in Orlando and used solar panels to heat the water year round. Very efficient.

Old 01-08-12, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
We're just up the road from Ft. Myers. We get about 7 months of usable swimming down here with moderately-sized solar heating (which I now need to replace after pulling it down for our new roof install). Right now the pool temp is 60 degrees, a bit chilly for swimming. Our pool is screened, so we lose some of the direct heating of an open-topped enclosure. We run the pump about 4 hours a day right now, about 8 hours a day during the summer. IMHO 8 hours a day during the winter is excessive. We have a DE filter system which is very efficient, but even with a low-end filter system I think 8 hours would be a lot. I also turn back the chlorine autofeeder to deliver less and brush & vacuum about once a month, but running the pump a little everyday and keeping some chlorine level makes for a fast start of the swim season when spring gets here. I don't think the 4 hours a day I run my pump cost very much.