are their any pro's in this business?

Old 04-04-12, 05:20 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
are their any pro's in this business?

I have a coleman 6 person 350 gal. started using chlorine then switched to Bromine and the Lady developed sensitivity to both so switched to the copper system and couldn't get it to keep away the raccoon smelling water it's the best way to describe it, so went to biguanide and it is no better! I want fresh smelling water, and no one can really give me consistent advise, one retailer just reads the back of the bottle when I ask him questions, I am about to pull the plug! can someone please help?

Old 04-04-12, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I have used this in my hot tub. ( I don't have it anymore)

I never had a smell and was the best water in regards to all the other stuff out there. You need to drain and refill every 4 months. Its real easy.

Not sure if you can find it locally but we have it in NJ. Its a bit pricey but like I said its great.

Mike NJ

Last edited by todrut; 04-04-12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 07:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
you might want to look into investing in a ozone system. you will get the fresh ozone smell...

Old 04-04-12, 09:42 PM
D
Ozone is an oxidizer not a sanitizer. As such, it kills almost nothing (bacteria)...it's even less due to the minimal way it's used in spas (to remain safe, the amount is extremely low....in addition, virtually none is absorbed into the water, which is necessary for it to be effective). When chlorine is used correctly, it has virtually no odor when you're using the spa.

Old 04-05-12, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I also started long ago with chlorine then went to bromine. Then about 10 years ago I switched to ozone and Nature2. With the Nature2 system I shock once a week with Oxy-Spa which is a MPS based sanitizer.

Old 04-06-12, 01:21 PM
_
if you smell "chlorine" then it's most likely that you don't have enough for it. what you really smell is chloramines which are product of chlorine sanitizing pathogens. Chloramines are further oxidized my chlorine. If the latter step doesn't take place due to lack of chlorine, you will have the "chlorine" smell.

There are 3 product that are approved for residential pools in US - chlorine, bromine and baquacill. Everything else could be used as complimentary products to the three mentioned above at best. Or they could be harmful at worst.

Neither copper nor silver, nor ozone provide enough sanitation/oxidation to be effective. If the levels of metals are high enough to be effective, they will result in staining (copper) or be very expensive.

Chlorine is the most economic way to sanitize the pool.

One needs to have a good test kit (not the strips) and understand the relationship between CYA and chlorine levels required for outdoor pools.

Last edited by todrut; 04-06-12 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 04:53 PM
W
thanks for the replies! I have decided to go back to chlorine and monitor it more closely, I really do think it is the best for me, maybe she can try it again... but as with all other research I have done the tips are all over the spa chemical spectrum one says one thing and another counters with something different.. I do believe there is some snake oil out there..

Old 04-10-12, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am by no means a pro, but one of my neighbors holds patents to UV lighting systems and has developed it far beyond just sanitizing drinking water. They are installing it on swimming pools and larger applications eliminating the need for chlorine. He says it works well in spas as well, but the water will need to be continuously run over the lighting for a lasting effect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: