Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

goldline aqua rite salt chlorinator problem

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-12, 10:10 AM

Hi Group,

My chlorinator is not working properly. I have no chlorine reading in the pool and I suspect the chlorinator is malfunctioning. Right now, it is stuck at 2800 ppm and will not move either way. I emptied 10 bags of 50lb salt in the pool for springtime and summertime use. The no flow light comes on for a few seconds and the power light and generating light comes on for a few seconds and then shuts off. i've got a 29k gallon pool and i've had to dump at least 12 gallons of liquid chlorine in the past month to try to clean it up. Of course, I dumped the chlorine in when the ph was at 7.2 to 7.6. It's about 8 years old. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-12, 07:03 PM
I have an Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator. When I switch it from off to generating the Power and Generating lights come on.
After 60 seconds the generating light goes off and the check salt and inspect cell lights come on.
The salt level is 3500-3600
The cell has been cleaned and there is no evidence of build up on the cell.
The system is just over two years old.
Can anyone help with this issue

Old 05-28-12, 01:32 PM
aqua rite salt chlorinator solution

Hi group,

I decided to go for it and take the electronic board out today! It seemed like that the resistor was perfectly fine and their was probably something else that was wrong. If I screwed it up, than I'm basically in the same position. Please go back to Dixon from 2008 forum to get the parts and directionsl. He was right all along!! Please make sure to use a more expensive soldering iron....the first one sucked! My goldline chlorinator is now working like new and now I can stop buying gallons and gallons of chlorine for my 29k gallon pool. By the way, I never have used a soldering iron before.

Old 06-06-12, 11:17 AM
Acqua Rite. Salt level led on and inspect cell on, none blinking. Chlorine cero.

My chlorinator is not working properly. I have no chlorine reading in the pool. The chlorinator panel, after recalibrating, reads 2600 for salt, starts generating and then stops, showing leds on for inspect cell and low salt (no blink). The cell is 2 years old, perfectly clean. I am suspecting a bad salt reading since the manual test shows 3200 (twice, two different days). The flow sensor looks clean. Should I replace the flow sensor? Very similar to what KBarnes posted.
Any suggestions?

Old 06-11-12, 01:03 PM
HELP!!! Faulty HIGH salt readings!

My aquarite salt chlorinating PCB board is reading 4700ppm of salt, therefore is shutting itself down. Levels have been confirmed/ tested at 3100ppm. Does ANYONE know which part I need without replacing the whole board? This is my 2nd board in only 4 years! PLEASE HELP! And this is my first time on this site.

Old 07-13-12, 10:12 AM
Gold aqua rite salt chlorinator problem.
My chlorinator is showing no power. It goes on and off. It comes on for a short time and I hear a clicking noise and it goes off. I smelled a electrical burn. not bad just a little. I live in a small community where no ones knows very much about the salt cell and the board where you get your display readings. How do I check to see if there something burned on the board. I did check my amps and there were no number just zeros. Please help....

Old 08-28-12, 10:42 AM
Godline Pool chlorinator problem

I am having the same problem as Darlalinda, my power LED and generating LED were cycling on and off making a distinct clicking noise. I pulled the fuse to see if it was burnt but it does not appear to be. Know I cannot get thew fuse to reseat into the hole. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Thanks

Old 12-15-12, 06:16 PM
Replacing the quarter size black round resistor works!

Just want to say thanks to Dixon and the others that pointed me to replace the black quarter size resister at the upper right side of the board. I too when turning on the unit was getting a salt reading and the no flow light would blink as usual then it turns off and the generate light came on for a few seconds then shut off. But the power light didn't go on. My unit is about 10 years old. I used a soldering gun because it's all I had. A little crude but this part is so big there's plenty of room to work. To get the old resistor out I removed the board partly like Dixon and then melted the solder on the back of the board while pulling on the resistor until it came out. Mine actually crumbled. To get the new one in I had my son heat the left over solder over one of the pin holes while I pushed one of the leads of the new resistor through (reaming the hole). I did this for the other lead as well. Next i was able to push both leads through making sure the resistor was in far enough not to hit the panel cover when replaced. After this I just heated up the back of the board at the post and melted the solder and then did the same at the other post. Finally I cut the extra long leads off the back of the resistor and put everything back. Again there is a lot of room so if you have someone help you (2nd set of hands) anyone can do this. Just make sure you don't let any solder dry on the board other than at the two separate leads, otherwise you could cause a short.

Old 05-08-13, 07:30 PM
Aqua Rite PC Board resistor

Does anyone have a part number for the quarter sized resistor on the PC board? The only numbers on mine are SL32 2RO25. Mine is fried and I'm having an issue findingthe part cross reference so I can buy one. Idf you have bought one, where did you find it? Thanks much for any info, RB

Old 05-08-13, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
Varistor replacement

The part you need to replace is called a VARISTOR.

I've seen it called many different names. It's a surge suppressor/inrush current limiter.

The SL32-2R025 is available from DigiKey Electronics and the part number is 570-1062-ND

SL32 2R025 Ametherm | 570-1062-ND | DigiKey

Apparently there are two more varistors that can also go bad. They are red and can be found just above and just below the screw connector in the lower left corner of the board.

The actual part number is V150LA2P. They are also available from DigiKey and that part number is F3005-ND

V150LA2P Littelfuse Inc | F3005-ND | DigiKey

Last edited by PJmax; 05-08-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 05:00 AM
Thanks Very Much for the Varistor Info

I'll check the local suppliers and if not go to the web. I apprecite the info, more to follow...

Old 05-13-13, 05:49 PM
Project Completed

PjMax, you were right on it, ordered from DigiKey and installed today, all is up and running. Thanks very much for the parts info and heads up on supplier.
On to the next project but I appreciate the info and the very quick response!

I did order an extra, the 20A fuse and the other 2 parts your gave me. Great info and a very cost effective repair compared to the replacement board and a service call. Thanks!

Old 05-13-13, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome.....glad to see it worked out for you.

Old 05-30-13, 07:16 AM
Aqua rite readings & local tests

My system is about 5 years old. Current readings from board keep dropping after a while to 2600 and starts lights about cell cleaning etc. Have cleaned cell with muratic and it does look pretty good; filters clean; have recalibrated system a few times already and can get it back to 3100 range but eventually during day it will drop again. Local pool stores test water at 3100 and so does personal test strips. It seems aqua rite system is not reading it properly. I don't want to add salt as the local readings are accurate, it is just the system apparently does not want to maintain a correct reading. Any more suggestions besides replacing salt generator and/or board?? Dave

Old 05-30-13, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Have you read thru this thread and checked the varistors on your board ?
If the primary one is bad it can cause the voltages to fluctuate on that board.

Old 06-01-13, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info on the Varistor. Mine was cracked and I ordered the replacement and a spare from DigiKey. Repair took about 30 minutes to remove the PC board, unsolder the Varistor and install the new one. System is back up and running. Thanks to Google for finding this thread for me.

Old 06-01-13, 11:01 AM
Island2191--
It sounds like you might have a faulty cell. Your local pool store should be able to test it for you. Leslie pool here in my area has a test fixture that can test the cell.

Old 06-30-13, 05:53 AM
Post VARISTOR part number

All the lights on my Aqurite panel are blinking and I am not generating chlorine. I have read the threads on replacing the current limiter or Varistor. It was stated the Digi Key part number is 570-1062 for the SL32 2RO25. Mine is labled AS32 2RO25 dose the AS vice the SL make a difference in the part I need?

Old 06-30-13, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
The part I listed above is the correct part for your application.

Old 07-22-13, 07:56 PM
VARISTOR part number

Hey Albidge,
I have the same part number on my PC board(AS32 2R025) and I found Digikey part number: 570-1105-ND as a replacement.
It solved my blinking no flow light issue, and no power or generating lights either was solved.
Now it's not generating chlorine, but all LED(s) are working OK.
I'm thinking of replacing the (2) red parts like PJ Max suggested, if that doesn't work; I'll buy entire PC board.
My pool is hurting...

Old 08-12-13, 03:40 PM
Salt Level Readings

I have a question regarding the replacement of the Varistors or Resistors mentioned in this thread. I have a 10 year old Goldline Salt System, with a newer CompuPool Salt Cell. The lights all seem to function properly on the system, however, the salt levels are reporting very low, almost always below 2000. I have had the Cell tested and it is working properly. If I perform the reset on the system, I can raise the salt level readings to a level high enough to start generating chlorine. Within a day or two, the level drops back down below 2000 and chlorine generation stops. Could the Varistors be a cause of this problem? I've read that the salt sensor is contained within the Salt Cell, so does this mean the cell must be replaced? Is there any way to use an external salt sensor, or bypass the sensor to keep the cell generating chlorine?

Thank you!

Old 09-06-13, 07:26 PM
Calibrating Aqua Rite salt Level

My Aqua Rite control panel for salt reading is stuck at 4900. Level is actually 4000. Therefore I am only getting the 10 seconds of generating before the lights go off for 1 minute. My Turbo cell is new. Can the salt reading be calibrated to a lower level to allow this to run longer?

Old 06-08-14, 12:22 PM
Aqua Rite chlorine Display lights out.

Hi

I have just replaced the main circuit board on my aqua rite generator. The display does not have any lights on at all. I was sure the old main board was shot and thought the new one would solve the issue of no display lights. Could I have an issue with the display now ?? Anyone else had a problem like this ?? Can tell if anything is working of not. I checked the power to the board and it is coming in. I am at a loss, guess I should buy a display now?? Any one that can help me please?

Thanks
bjs1951

Old 06-10-14, 12:14 PM
I have the exact same problem. Any suggestions?

Old 06-10-14, 01:14 PM
I just figured it out! Check your red and white wires in the bottom left. My box is wired for 120v but the new board is set up for 220v. The little silver metal tabs that are in the two center screws need to be put on all four screws and then replace the red and white wires. Compare your old board to the new one if you still have it. Now it works perfectly! Yahoo!

Old 07-05-14, 08:43 AM
After replacing Varistor, the box started smoking

After replacing the black varistor for the 10th time in the last few years, the control box started smoking in the top left corner. Is there a fix for that other than buying a new control box.

Old 07-05-14, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
I don't have any service info in front of me but that sounds like it may be terminal.

Old 02-08-15, 11:31 AM
My problem is I have a no flow light on

Closed Thread