Pump keeps cutting off

Old 05-19-12, 11:57 PM
Pump keeps cutting off

Hi I just bought a home with an above ground pool with a Hayward Power Flo Matrix pump. This is weird...it was working when I moved in then it wasn't when I started giving it attention. I replaced the power outlet next to the pump and it worked about 20 minutes then stopped and no power at all to the plug. I ran an extension cord to the back patio and it came on, worked for 20 minutes then cut off and tripped the breaker in the house. Ran the extension cord to the outlet in the dining room and it worked for several hours then cut off. However this time no breaker tripped and there is still power at the outlet but the pump is unresponsive to any power source now, not even a hum. A brand new in-the-box replacement pump is only $150 on Ebay but I don't want to buy only to have the same problems because the problem is electrical and not the pump itself. Any ideas? I made sure the filter didn't get over-clogged when it was running. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-12, 05:33 AM
It sounds like it is the pump, sounds like the thermal switch is shutting pump down when it does not trip breaker. Is pump motor getting very hot? Be careful, the motor can burn you, check it carefully when it shuts off.

Old 05-20-12, 07:11 AM
Thanks, since it hasn't come on at all now for weeks it is obviously cool so the switch should automatically let it come back on right? It's completely dead though, am I missing something? I definitely want to be sure the pump is defective before buying a new one.

Old 05-20-12, 07:29 AM
if you are sure it is getting power then it sounds like it has died. Could have rebuilt but I would suggest new.

Old 05-20-12, 09:39 PM
OK I'll be buying a new one luckily they're not too expensive. Thanks for the help!