New Hot tub cover concerns

Old 05-31-12, 06:36 AM
New Hot tub cover concerns

I have a Dynasty hot tub with the speakers sticking out the top, so the cover has cutouts for the speakers. I only located one company on line which makes covers for my spa, SpaCoverBuyDirect.com, I also liked the fact they are made in the USA. So I ordered a new cover, and it does fit around the speakers. They have to move where the tie down straps are located, and they will do that for free, But I did notice that the skirt does not overlap leaving gaps at the sides of the HT ( see pictures) I can feel and see the steam coming out from these gaps. My old cover had the skirt flaps overlap. (See bottom pic)
When I called them about it, the guy said that the skirt is there only to keep dirt out, and not heat in, the top cover does that, and that the heat would still escape even if the flaps overlapped ( Which this company does not do).
What do you think, should I be concerned with these gaps, particularly in the winter? I was thinking of taking some material and gluing a flap to the inside of the skit to cover these gaps.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-12, 07:42 AM
To an extent that's correct. The skirt just keeps dirt out, and more importantly, the sun off the lip of the acrylic. HOWEVER, if there's steam escaping, the REAL problem is that the cover isn't laying flat on the spa (or the top of the spa isn't flat....which is unlikely).

Old 06-01-12, 07:19 AM
Thanks for your reply, so the fact that the flaps do not overlap should not be a concern. The steam was escaping from where the speakers are ( 2nd picture) and yes, the hot tubs top is not flat there, so it does not make a good seal. I wonder if I can put some rubber gasket, like a car door gasket there to seal it better. The old cover did overlap and I figured thats why I did not see any steam. ( see pic below). But it did always have icicals hanging down from there in the winter.

Attached Images