Enclosed Pool Heater Venting Question

Old 06-03-12, 04:22 PM
Enclosed Pool Heater Venting Question

Hello - thought I could find an answer on-line, but searches were coming up with too many ads for equipment. Thanks for looking/helping....

I have a small pool room carved out of a small corner of the house. Its roughly 6x10, on the cold side (not insulated, just stud, particle board, tyvek and siding). It encloses the valves, heater, chlorinator, pump and filter. It is in WI so still subject to winterization.

The pool heater, a Sta-Rite gas-fired unit, is placed approx 6 inches from an exterior wall. The original venting went directly out the side through a rough hole cut in the OSB and cedar clad siding, an 18 inch double-walled vent pipe capped with a circular vent cap. No collar, no sealing, no winterization capabilities. Over time, the exposure has started to wear down the opening.

What is the right way to do this? I wanted to vent out the ceiling, but there is not enough room without major relayout of water and gas lines. I would also like to be able to remove the cap and pipe in winter and seal it up. Right now, my plan is to remove the lap siding, put a 1x12 rough sawn over the hole, cut out a hole, put a collar through the opening, and then insert the cap/pipe assembly and seal it using silicone, but am worried about temp sensitivity.

Am I headed in the right direction? What have others done in winter climates?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-12, 08:14 PM
I would consult the installation manual for your heater, it will tell you what you need for specific heater. If you don't have manual, I'm sure you can find on sta-rite's site.

Old 06-03-12, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Whats the model # of the heater?

They are all different.

Mike NJ

Old 06-04-12, 10:15 AM
It is the SR series of Sta-Rite pumps (there are various model numbers covered under one manual). The installation - as best it is described in the manual - is consistent with what was done, with the possible exception of lack of 6 inch clearance for combustible materials, which is only specified in the vertical install. It does not address the possible types of walls it is being vented through.

So what it seams to boil down to is...if I install a thimble into the hole through the siding and OSB, seal all the connections with RTV - am I good to go? Or do I need to somehow thermally isolate this from any wood for 6 inches around either side? Am also thinking that as part of winterizing, would take the cap off and seal the vent pipe with some solid insulation.

It has not burned down the house in ten years, but there is always a first time.

Old 06-04-12, 02:49 PM
going through a wall I would use triple insulated vent pipe.