Pool supply lines failing.

Old 07-19-12, 08:00 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pool supply lines failing.

I have an 18 x 38 (30K Imp./36K US gallons) inground pool. It is 20 years old.

Four years ago we replaced the liner and three years ago we replaced the pump. We have a Jacuzzi 250 sand filter and replaced the worn out 3/4 horse pump with a Hayward 1 HP pump.

The following year the supply line to the deep end split and I had to dig out and tunnel under the concrete apron to determine the problem. I ran a whole new heavy duty line and things were fine for the next season.

This week, the supply line to the shallow end split right near the drain assembly, but again I had to tunnel under the concrete apron to find the split.

Could this be problem be caused by the slightly more powerful pump??? Or is the ABS pipe subject to breakdown, although not exposed to any movement or ?

Can I cap off the supply line to the shallow end to get the pool back in operation and put off running a new line until the fall or will this cause problems (more pressure?) on the deep end supply line?

All help most appreciated - it seems like it's been in the 90's almost constantly for the past month...

Old 07-19-12, 09:25 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Or is the ABS pipe subject to breakdown, although not exposed to any movement or ?
Maybe the pros have but I have never heard of ABS used as a pressure line. Around here you don't even find it in drain plumbing except trailer homes.

Old 07-19-12, 09:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
What I can say is it does not surprise me that one line split and then the other, the both were subject to the same stresses.

Old 07-19-12, 02:57 PM
T
Hi again. I don't know what I was thinking. I have been working with some ABS for some DWV work - common here in Canada.

The supply/return lines for the pool are 1 1/2" Poly pipe (IPEX, rated for 100PSI) - NOT ABS of course.

With that in mind - any answers to my questions?

Last edited by TomLusk; 07-19-12 at 03:03 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 07-19-12, 03:41 PM
yes you can disconnect or plug the bad line and run with the other. I would replace with PVC SCH40 pipe and fittings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: