Cal Spa keeps tripping

Old 07-01-12, 06:08 AM
Question Cal Spa keeps tripping

I recently bought my home in NOvember of 2011, there is a 2005 Cal Spa that the previous owners left. For some reason, it only works half time. Here is some background to my spa. There is a 50AMP breaker about 7 feet from the spa, this, I assume is a fail safe. Then in my garage there is another fuse in the main panel. Finally, in the main floor half bath, I have a GCFI. If that trips then it takes out the spa and all outlets in my other upstairs bathrooms. What if any do I need to do in order to get my spa to run all them time? It has a balboa heater element.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-12, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Which is tripping? The 50 amp breaker, the fuse in the main panel, or the GFCI that kills all the baths?

I find it odd that the GFCI would kill the spa since it has its own 50 amp feed.

Old 07-02-12, 04:20 AM
Sorry for the confusion. Both the outside breaker and the GFCI did. Is it possible that the GFCI and breaker are on the same circuit? I would hope not as the SPA is supposed to be wired as 220V. When I reset the GFCI, the spa breaker will stay on but, only until I hit the power button on the spa.

Old 07-02-12, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing the somehow the GFCI and the breaker are both tied in somehow, and are both detecting a ground fault.

This is going to be kind of tough to figure out as this is a rather odd setup. Like I said, most spas have seen are fed with a single circuit, either 120 or 240.
I need you to take some picture so I can see what you see. Please take a picture of:

The fuses in the main panel. If you could do it with the cover off, that would be more helpful but do not do it if your not comfortable doing that.
The outside disconnect, again, with the cover off if you can
Inside the Spa panel with the cover off so we can see the wiring.
The GFCI that is tripping.

Old 07-13-12, 07:31 AM
Pictures Requested

Sorry, to all, I have been out of the net for the last week
Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 3897
Size:  39.8 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 4357
Size:  37.8 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 3675
Size:  28.6 KBName:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 3622
Size:  27.6 KB

Old 07-15-12, 12:53 PM
I have a Cal Spa [ junk] Hot tub bought new about the same age as yours. I did all the work myself. It is semi enclosed in a screen/glass room.
Yours is wired wrong. It has to be on its own circut. I have a Double 50 amp GFCI in the main Fuse box running un broken 6/3 about 25/30 feet to a Service disconect which is about 5 feet away from the spa.. From there the same 6/3 is in "Seal Tight" [ looks like yours"] to the Spas controll box. Nothing else can be on the same circut.