Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

replaced sta-rite max-e-glas 2 pump, leaking at main o-ring housing.

Old 11-15-12, 07:14 PM

I just replaced a Sta-Rite Max-e-Glas 2 pump motor. Model # (P6RA6YF-206L) I replaced the motor, all the o-rings, the impeller, and all the parts on the impeller. I used a fluoropolymer pool and spa lube(specifically for use on o-rings) on the o-rings. The problem is, it is leaking water right where the pump and motor come together. It is dripping at the bottom of the o-ring housing. And it is also dripping back about 2 inches on the motor side.
I tapped the clamp as I was tightening it, hand tight. The clamp looks good and tight, all the way around. BTW: this leak was not there originally. The motor needed to be replaced. My pool is about 5 years old.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. The system is working, but I would like to fix this leak.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-12, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Did you replace the ceramic seal ? It's usually very smooth and black .It's the device that keeps water from leaking out of the motor shaft which sounds like what you have there.

Old 11-16-12, 03:48 AM
Yes, I put a new ceramic seal and the other spring loaded part that slides onto the new impeller. All those parts are new.

Old 11-16-12, 05:35 AM
did you install the seal the proper way? Glass to glass? You did not lube the seal did you? Is it the proper seal? And lastly did you inspect seal plate for cracks?

Old 11-17-12, 04:58 AM
Yes, I was very careful in how I replaced the parts of the seal correctly. No, I did not lube the seal. And yes, I inspected the seal plate very carefully also. What do you think of using some sort of gasket sealer at the place where the 2 plates come together? I mean right where the large tightening clamp goes around. On the flat surface of those plates. Everything is working okay, there is just the small leak at the bottom. I was thinking a gasket sealer would stop the water leakage so it would be a fix.

Old 11-17-12, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
If that's a pump with a big band around it, you need to get a rubber mallet and tap around the band...

Then tighten some more... Then tap the band some more...etc. You will be surprised how much more that band tightens.

You may have to whack it with force and not just tap..tap...tap... Remember RUBBER MALLET!!!

Old 11-17-12, 06:43 AM
Okay. I will try that next. Thanks!

Old 11-17-12, 08:22 AM
Okay. I took it all apart again. Double checked it all. Everything looked good, correctly assembled, and tight. Tapped with force all the way around the clamp, with rubber mallet and made it very hand tight. Still leaking from what appears to be the "weep" holes on the motor side of the pump. Any more suggestions?

Very frustrating.

Thanks.

Old 11-17-12, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
I would say the shaft seal.... I will try to find the shematic parts view, but is this the kit you got?

Go Kit Rebuild Kit for Sta Rite Max-E-Glas II and Dura-Glas II Pumps: Pump Rebuild Kits

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-12, 10:06 AM
Yes, that's the kit I bought with the new motor. Talked to the local pool professional. He has suggested I get another shaft seal kit and try that. He said sometimes the new kit parts are faulty. So I am going to do that now.

Old 11-17-12, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
I believe it gets pressed in , no? It needs to go in squarely if so.

Old 11-17-12, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Good job!!!!! Glad to help.

This post may post below yours. There is a time issue going on.

Old 11-17-12, 02:37 PM
Saw wear on the seal plate itself. Replaced seal plate. Success! No leaks, so far. Hopefully that was it. Thanks for all your assistance. Very much appreciated.

Old 11-18-12, 12:22 PM
Well. I am back. ...... I ran the system for awhile, and all was well, for awhile, and then the pump motor became so hot that it quit on its own!. No more water leaks anywhere but now I have a brand new pump motor that is overheating. Any suggestions, will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-20-12, 06:44 AM
If vent holes are open(Not plugged with any leaves or such) motor is bad and will need to be taken back.

Old 11-30-12, 10:41 AM
Replacing new motor today.

Yes. The supplier replaced the motor, with no extra charge. Installing it today. Hopefully all will go well.