Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Pool Heater replacement (concerns for gas fittings)

Old 12-09-12, 12:05 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Just bought a new pool heater to replace an existing one that had completly rusted inside an out. My question is around how difficult this will be? The guy at the store felt is was fairly easy. I'm not worried about the pool plumbing or electrical, but the gas fittings have me a bit concerned as I have never done any gas plumbing before.

I am thinking if I get a flexible gas line for outdoor use that will make my life easier. The new heater is shorter than the old one so there should be fewer connections to make with a flex hose. But I won't be able to use the existing non-flex connections due to the height differences.

The heater is the same make (hayward) and same BTU (399000) so no concerns around existing meter and regulator.

What do you think is a novice capable of hooking this up to the existing gas line?

Old 12-09-12, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I know just the heater you have there. The gas lines comes out the left side. It'll be a 1/2" pipe coming out for gas.

So you will be picking up an outside flex line that connects to 1/2" pipe on one end and whatever your supply is. You should have a shut-off valve right there and they are usually 1/2"

So your flex would probably be from 1/2" to 1/2"

You could shoot us a pic and post it here.

Old 12-09-12, 12:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Hooking up the gas line is not rocket science and can be easily done with basic wrenches. Usually the worst part of the job is getting the hold hard plumbed/NPT connections loose. Once the old is out, installing the new is a snap.

After it's all hooked up I like to use children's bubble soap to check for leaks. With the gas turned on paint the bubble soap on all your connections. If you see bubbles appearing or getting bigger you know there is a leak.

Old 12-09-12, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I believe code dictates the unit must be hard piped. No flex line allowed.

I would have to check but I am pretty sure.

you will need to use nipples. ells, etc ... to reach the new inlet height.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: