Leaky Hot Tub

Old 04-23-13, 07:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaky Hot Tub

Hi All!
Ok here goes..We have used stop leak a couple of times and leaks have slowed but not stopped. Still losing a lot of water each day. We were told to pour a gallon of Portland Cement into the hut tub skimmer (without the filter)... let tub cycle a few times with jets on, drain completely and clean as you go, refill, and if necessary repeat...I can find nothing about anyone else doing this anywhere on the internet. Probably should take that as my answer but would love to hear your responses!
Thanks to all!!
Dumass

Old 04-23-13, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,604 Votes on 1,478 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Uhhhhhhhhhh......NOT !

Do not pour a bag of cement into the skimmer. That would be a disaster in itself.
I don't think I'd be using stop leak either.

Why can't you find the leak ? Have you tried ?

Old 04-23-13, 08:29 PM
D
Yep, have had it torn apart, foam insulation out, repaired all we could find, was ok for a while but still leaking. Really don't want to tear it apart again so looking for a last ditch effort before we give up on it.

Old 04-23-13, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
repaired all we could find
...........and what did you find ?
Broken lines from freeze damage ?

Old 04-23-13, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Dude I am with PJ. Find the leak or buy another hot tub. Pick foam...Ive done it....Note: Most likely the filter area is the culprit...

Old 04-23-13, 09:01 PM
D
Some of the connections were leaking. We replace with new parts and sealed everything we could find. Replaced all of the jets. I'm sure original leaks were from previous owner not taking care of it due to freeze damage. Portland cement is super fine and would only set up when it met with air...

Old 04-23-13, 09:06 PM
D
We stood it on end, picked foam, and sealed around filter area as well as others. I'm sure we will end up buying a new tub but may give this a try for the heck of it. Nothing to lose!!

Old 04-27-13, 10:58 AM
D
No more leaky hot tub!

Well we got brave and tried the portland cement fix. What a mess to clean up! But after running, draining, cleaning, wiping out, and refilling 3 times, the tub hasn't leaked in 3 days. We did learn the hard way to be sure and take the jets out first :/ Those were a pain to clean but they did clean up fine in the kitchen sink with a toothbrush. I guess we will see how long it holds but amazingly so far so good! We were losing about 3-4 inches of water a day... Advice to anyone else.. be prepared to have a mess to clean up. Shop vac for the bottom worked well. Be sure and do it when you have time to thoroughly clean and refill so tub doesn't sit empty between refills for very long. It took us 2 evenings to complete.

Old 04-27-13, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Keep us posted. I'm curious to see if it holds up and hopefully won't affect the heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: