Ballast for pool steps?

Old 05-12-13, 05:05 AM
Ballast for pool steps?

I have a set of resin type steps that I've had now for about four years in my above ground pool.

They have a top step ballast and three internal side ballasts. All are filled with sand. For a long time now I have had to continuously vacuum up sand on the bottom of the pool.

Well, over the winter I decided to pull the steps out and see what the problem was. This was almost too funny! The top step ballast has no cap to keep the sand in but we have never noticed it losing any sand and thus this wasn't the biggest culprit. The biggest culprits are two of the side ballasts. Even though they have caps on them, both of them have three large drill bit sized holes in them. These are not leaks, just factory drilled holes. I probably never would have seen them except while using hose pressure to wash the sand out of them the sand and water were poring out of these holes!

My question is this. Since the top step doesn't have a cap on it and two of the three side ballasts have factory holes in them, can I just put quickcrete in these ballasts instead of sand?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-13, 07:08 AM
yes, usually people put quickcrete or rocks

Old 05-17-13, 03:42 AM
Thanks told rut. Works perfect.