Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

I need some preliminary info before I troubleshoot a hot tub, please.

Old 05-12-13, 04:46 PM

Hello ,,first time poster here. I need a little preliminary info before I troubleshoot my sister's hot tub. I should say first that I do have some experience working on spas, having replaced the heater on my own tub twice, and I have good knowledge in mechanics, having worked in commercial building maintenance for 30 years. My sister has a CalSpa Victory Series 1500 Electronic spa circa @ 2004. Not heating at all. Was wondering if anyone could tell me what ohm reading I should get across the heater terminals if the heater is good, and also is the high limit / freeze sensor replacable by itself or would I have to replace the entire heat section tube and all ? Wanted some prelim info before I drive down and try to troubleshoot. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-13, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Does it have an LCD screen ? Is it showing any trouble codes ?

It looks like they use a 120 volt 4kw heating element. It should probably measure around 5 ohms.

The manual below looks to be the one for your unit. I would download it and print it.

Calspas manual - Spa_Victory_Series.pdf

Old 05-13-13, 08:17 AM
Thanks for response, PJmax. My sister says she is showing an "OH" code on the LCD readout. I assume that means Overheat, That's why I was asking about the high limit / freeze sensor. As I said, I have not been down there yet to actually look at it, and it will probably be the next weekend before I can get down there to look at it. I already downloaded that manual, but unfortunately it does not contain a schematic. I'll have to wait until I get down there to look at the schematic on the inside of the control box.

Old 03-15-14, 07:27 PM
calspa 2100 2001 year

I am having issues with my hot tub heating. We have replaced the heating element and the pressure switch and the tub is not heating up. The led light for when the hot tub is heating is not on. The fuse is good and there is power to the relay. We have been told maybe there is a bubble in the lines to run it with jets powered on high for awhile. Still not heating can anyone suggest anything else. I have read many of the suggestions on here and have tried many things and everything looks to us that it should be working. Trying not to call out a tech due to how expensive they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 03-15-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Are there any trouble codes on the display ?
Is this is a 240vac unit..... make sure you measure 240vac right on the control board.

Old 03-15-14, 09:11 PM
No codes. I will double check 240 tomorrow. Thank you

Old 03-15-14, 09:25 PM
Ok, so you've unnecessarily paid for a new heating element and a pressure switch...obviously not the problem. How much time have you spent on this? Working on it, ordering parts etc. This is a CLASSIC example of why an "expensive" service tech can be significantly cheaper then trying to figure it out yourself.

Have you checked for proper flow?
Have you checked for continuity with the pressure switch?
Checked the high limits?
Tested the thermostat?