Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Fixing hairline crack in pool filter valve head

Old 05-19-13, 08:11 AM

Hello,

When my pressure gauge failed in my Hayward filter head unit (similar to : Hayward SP0714T Pro Series Vari-Flo Top-Mount Control Valve, Black, 1-1/2-Inch-FIP: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/url]), I replaced it with a brass plug. Evidently I tightened the plug a bit too much and cracked the plastic. Now there's a fine crack which slowly leaks water above and below the pressure gauge threaded hole. I'd like to fix this up before hooking up the filter this year.

I'm wondering what to use to fix this. Has to be tolerant to constantly submerged conditions and water pressures of max (guessing) 20psi--not bad. The good news is the part tolerances are such that I can build up the sealant on the inside of the body without any fit issues.

I was looking at this product: to cover the inside and outside.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brett

Last edited by todrut; 05-20-13 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-13, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think that kind of epoxy would be a good choice. Most do not seem tolerant to sunlight or constant water.

I'm thinking this might be the better choice: J-B WaterWeld | Specially Formulated Epoxy Putty

Be sure to roughen up the surface to get a good bond.

Old 05-19-13, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Try whatever you want to fix the crack but I don't think it will work. First I would see if backing the fitting out a turn will allow the plastic to close enough to stop the leak. Beyond that I think it will be difficult to get an epoxy down into the crack to do any good. Add to that that water has been flowing through it so you don't have a way to properly clean the area. I would deal with the slow leak and make plans to replace the assembly since plastics are difficult to repair and that's a relatively inexpensive part.

Old 05-21-13, 05:50 PM
Thanks all, I grabbed some JB Plastic Weld putty and will give it a try. At the hardware store the Plastic Weld claimed to bond to more plastics than the Water Weld, we'll see. I'll report back when I have results.

thanks,
Brett

Old 05-22-13, 11:19 AM
Well before opening the PlasticWeld I decided to ask J-B themselves if this was appropriate. And they too recommended the WaterWeld. The catch is I don't know what kind of plastic I'm trying to fix. I'll swap out the PW for the WW and give it a go.

Old 05-22-13, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
I found the valve you mentioned online and the specs say it is made of ABS.

Old 06-04-13, 05:49 AM
Thanks all. I returned the PlasticWeld and got the WaterWeld, sanded/cleaned/patched up the crack on the inside of the filter head, and it's been running leak free for several weeks now.

Old 05-28-15, 11:13 PM
Leak from crack in Hayward filter

Hello everybody. We have a similar issue, except we have a crack in the bottom of our Hayward Xstream above ground pool filter. When running water pours out the bottom, it's not slow like the previous poster's leak, but the crack doesn't look like a gaping hole either. Honestly, I have no idea how it occurred. I really would rather not buy a new filter and pump this year. I was wondering if an epoxy would work on our crack or could this potentially cause it to explode due to pressure of water on the repaired crack. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-15, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, it can still fail if you epoxy it but your filter is already shot so you don't have anything to loose.

Old 05-29-15, 06:10 AM
I think WaterWeld will almost certainly work for your filter crack. The pressures there are the same at the head unit I repaired which is still leak free today. Just be sure you sand and then clean the interior surface before patching it and sufficiently overlap the crack with the well-kneaded putty.

Old 05-29-15, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
If you're uncertain how the valve cracked then it may have been caused by freezing water.