Need to replace Hot tub pump/impeller

Old 06-07-13, 07:05 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to replace Hot tub pump/impeller

Hello my pump/impeller recently gave out and I need to replace it. I had a pool company come by and give a free estimate however they want over $400 to replace the pump/impeller.(just for the part) They also said my heater unit may be out and wanted to charge me $120 to replace it. I think I can purchase this pump online much cheaper but I could use some help.

My hottub is a cal spas and my pump is a Franklin Electric

imgur: the simple image sharer

is a picture of my pump specifications

So Ive been looking online to try to find a pump that may match mine. I found this on ebay which appears to be a similar model to mine. Spa Hot Tub Pump 1 1 2 HP Franklin Electric | eBay

If not could somebody recommend a good model that would work for my hot tub? I'm not sure what exactly to look for.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and help!

Old 06-07-13, 11:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

One problem is your pump is a two speed unit and the one on eBay you linked to is only a single speed one.

You're on the right track. Try looking on eBay for a 2 speed unit. I'm not sure where else to check for discount prices.

Old 06-08-13, 11:26 AM
K
does the HP 1 1/2-2-1/5 specify that as a 2 speed pump?

Old 06-08-13, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not following your question. HP ?

Your tub now uses a 2 speed pump.

Old 06-09-13, 07:23 AM
D
That's a 1.5 horsepower, 240 volt, 2 speed, 48 frame, motor.

The universal "part number" from ALL manufacturers is, BN34 (ANY brand should fit, as long as it's a BN-34)

1 5 HP 3450 1725 RPM 48Y Frame 230V 2 Speed Pool Spa Motor AO Smith BN34V1 | eBay

Old 06-14-13, 09:54 PM
S
I have the same pump but my impeller froze up and the pump just hums, I have the pump/impeller apart and now need to order a new one, can I purchase any impeller that fits or so I have to order a specific one for the Franklin Pump? Thank you.

Old 06-14-13, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You removed the impeller and now the motor is ok ?

If that is so....it's not the impeller......I believe it's the ceramic seal kit.

Old 06-14-13, 10:52 PM
S
The pump would just hum before I took it apart then when I took the wet end apart to see if the impeller was stuck it would not turn, the plastic impeller got broken while I was taking it apart and I havent gotten the wet end completely off but some how now it is spinning if I spin it by hand, I was assuming the impeller was rubbing on something making it stuck, I will look at it tomorrow and will take a look at the Ceramic Seal Kit, I appreciate the help hopefully I can get this fixed.

Old 06-15-13, 06:15 PM
S
Thanks again for the help, I went ahead and ordered a new wet end, the hot tub is older and sat for alittle bit Id rather just replace the whole then go piece by piece. I needed a new Heating Element to take care of the 2 issues Im having. Hopefully this will be it and I will be up in running by next wk. The Hot Tub sat for 4 yrs so I will be happy if this is all the issues I have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: