Need to replace Hot tub pump/impeller

Old 06-07-13, 07:05 PM
Need to replace Hot tub pump/impeller

Hello my pump/impeller recently gave out and I need to replace it. I had a pool company come by and give a free estimate however they want over $400 to replace the pump/impeller.(just for the part) They also said my heater unit may be out and wanted to charge me $120 to replace it. I think I can purchase this pump online much cheaper but I could use some help.

My hottub is a cal spas and my pump is a Franklin Electric

imgur: the simple image sharer

is a picture of my pump specifications

So Ive been looking online to try to find a pump that may match mine. I found this on ebay which appears to be a similar model to mine. Spa Hot Tub Pump 1 1 2 HP Franklin Electric | eBay

If not could somebody recommend a good model that would work for my hot tub? I'm not sure what exactly to look for.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 11:17 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

One problem is your pump is a two speed unit and the one on eBay you linked to is only a single speed one.

You're on the right track. Try looking on eBay for a 2 speed unit. I'm not sure where else to check for discount prices.

Old 06-08-13, 11:26 AM
does the HP 1 1/2-2-1/5 specify that as a 2 speed pump?

Old 06-08-13, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not following your question. HP ?

Your tub now uses a 2 speed pump.

Old 06-09-13, 07:23 AM
That's a 1.5 horsepower, 240 volt, 2 speed, 48 frame, motor.

The universal "part number" from ALL manufacturers is, BN34 (ANY brand should fit, as long as it's a BN-34)

1 5 HP 3450 1725 RPM 48Y Frame 230V 2 Speed Pool Spa Motor AO Smith BN34V1 | eBay

Old 06-14-13, 09:54 PM
I have the same pump but my impeller froze up and the pump just hums, I have the pump/impeller apart and now need to order a new one, can I purchase any impeller that fits or so I have to order a specific one for the Franklin Pump? Thank you.

Old 06-14-13, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You removed the impeller and now the motor is ok ?

If that is so....it's not the impeller......I believe it's the ceramic seal kit.

Old 06-14-13, 10:52 PM
The pump would just hum before I took it apart then when I took the wet end apart to see if the impeller was stuck it would not turn, the plastic impeller got broken while I was taking it apart and I havent gotten the wet end completely off but some how now it is spinning if I spin it by hand, I was assuming the impeller was rubbing on something making it stuck, I will look at it tomorrow and will take a look at the Ceramic Seal Kit, I appreciate the help hopefully I can get this fixed.

Old 06-15-13, 06:15 PM
Thanks again for the help, I went ahead and ordered a new wet end, the hot tub is older and sat for alittle bit Id rather just replace the whole then go piece by piece. I needed a new Heating Element to take care of the 2 issues Im having. Hopefully this will be it and I will be up in running by next wk. The Hot Tub sat for 4 yrs so I will be happy if this is all the issues I have.