Difficult Problem, Please Help FLO2 !!!!

Old 06-07-13, 10:13 PM
Difficult Problem, Please Help FLO2 !!!!

Ok, so here's what's going on. When I started my spa for the year i was consistently getting a FLO2 error on startup. I looked at the flow sensor and I could see that it was open on startup prior to the circulation pump coming on. After reading online I replaced the filter (it's 2 years old so past time anyways) and the flow sensor. With the new flow sensor I have the same problem on startup it flashes FLO2 indicating that the sensor isn't open to start.

I got the idea from someone else posting online to try to bypass this error by manually disconnecting the flow sensor on startup to get past the FLO2 error. So I wired in a standard rocker switch into the flow sensor. On startup I leave it off and then when I get the FLO (not FLO2) error indicating that the flow switch should now register as closed I flip the switch and let the flow sensor work as designed. This works great and allows for the heater to come on. I thought I had solved the problem, although annoying to flip a switch inside anytime power is lost, if I only have to do it at start up that isn't the end of the world.

I was wrong. After about 15-45 minutes (seems to be some variable) the screen starts flashing "PLUG". This is supposed to indicate that the service tech's plug has been left in too long. I don't even own a service plug, so that isn't the problem. So I called customer support and they said it's a bad board. My question is can anyone come up with anything else to try? I'm guessing for some reason my flow switches (new and old) aren't registering open unless I flip the switch, so at some point the circ pump is turning over to verify that the tech plug isn't being left in and finding that it isn't opening up. That doesn't make sense as I can see the flow switch opening, and yet I don't have a better answer. As the board is 400-500 I'm looking for any help I can get, please help me!!

Thank you in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately these boards pickup a logic problem, whether due to moisture or power surge, and there is almost nothing you do to them as the boards are a proprietary design and no schematics are released.

What is the make, model and year of the unit.

Old 06-08-13, 09:34 PM
It's an 2002 Sundance Optima. I'm guessing there is just some logic test at some point to stop the pump and see if the circuit on the flow switch opens, which for some reason mine isn't. Uggg, not a great time financially so we might just be out of a hot tub for this season.

Any chance this could just be a failed rely not releasing when the flow switch should be open? Any idea which rely to test or how on this type of thing?

Thanks for the response.

Old 06-09-13, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
There is a wiring diagram in the owners manual. I'm still looking into board schematics.

Sundancespas - 2002 - Optima

Old 09-09-13, 11:00 PM
Sundance hot tub overheating and saying ICE major unsolved problem Help!!

I have an old Sundance Royale 724 Hot tub. Symptoms: About a year ago, it began to flash ICE even with the temperature at 102 or 106. Shows intermittently for 1 second a sign on the readout "ICE" then goes back to temperature e.g. 105. Temp continues to rise and could go to as high as 108 and meanwhile whenever the Standard filter cycle ran it would acutely heat up because of ICE. The temperature sensor would also detect real ice when placed there. Temperature se to 100F. The sensors reflect correct temperature (water is as hot as it shows using independent thermometers).
This model does not have a wire for a Hi-limit sensor or it only kicks in at 115 degrees or so so is a non-event.
Initially I was able to control the problem by setting the filter cycle to only about 2 hours per day. It would then not go above 101 degrees. This lasted 6 months through the cooler weather then did not help. We then replaced the Temperature Sensor. It worked for three weeks then the ICE message began, and it still goes up to 108 if I let it, but I switch off the power before that and we restart the overheat cycle when its back on. We've replaced also the filters with no difference. The CPU macroscopically looks good and functioning and there are no other problems.
Different opinions are expressed by "experts". No-one has been consistent.
In 2011 we incidentally replaced the Hot Water Heater and put in a new Ozonator.

Suggestions?

Last edited by PSYCHE; 09-09-13 at 11:23 PM.