Hot tub frame

Old 07-09-13, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hot tub frame

I am looking to replace all of the support framing and sides of my hot tub enclosure. All wood, but rotting/ants? Was considering using composite for the sides. Any tips/helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-13, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Composites get pretty warm in the sun and are subject to quite a bit of expansion and contraction. The darker the material the hotter it will get. That is why you don't see anything but white vinyl fences. If you can find thin enough stock it might work. Not sure you want to use 5/4 boards for the build. If so, make sure you get solid composite as opposed to hollow.

Old 07-09-13, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Almost all modern spas use composite or plastic for the skirting but there is a wood frame underneath. Composite lumber is not structural so you will still need a wood frame but you should be OK to skirt the spa with composite if you like.

If using pressure treated lumber I would try to get wood rated for ground contact. In 2" thickness lumber it's often a special order item unless you live near the coast but it will resist rot and insects better than what you normally find on the shelves of your home center. Also look at the tag on the lumber to see how its treated. Some treatments like ACQ are corrosive and require special fasteners intended for treated lumber.

Old 07-12-13, 07:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thank you. Will begin my search for proper rated 2x4's for base frame. May also use same for all framing.