Aqua Trol Chlorinator problem

Old 07-22-13, 12:42 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aqua Trol Chlorinator problem

Hi everyone. I own an Aqua Troll salt chlorinator and noticed this morning that all lights were off on the unit. Called Hayward and was told the obvious, that the board had to be replaced at the ridiculous cost of $300. I have some knowledge about electronics and know that the problem could be resolved sometimes for mere dollars at the most. That being said I found a diagnostics manual online yesterday

http://www.nuccibros.com/sec_0934drR...ting-Guide.pdf

and measured all voltage and resistance values and everything was fine. I unplugged the unit and after about 5 minutes turned it back on and power light came on. Left it plugged over night and everything was ok this morning till I brought it outside to hook it back up to the pool. After about 5 minutes unit went off and can't get it working any longer. I here that the transformer is working but all lights are off.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-22-13, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In the picture below which was taken from the service manual link you left. The part I circled is called a varistor. Most chlorinators use them and they are notorious for going bad. Can you get me all the numbers and letters off of it.

Also check to see if it looks like yours may be burned or cracked.

Name:  12345.jpg
Views: 4387
Size:  33.5 KB

Old 07-23-13, 08:37 AM
G
Firstly I'd like to thank you for responding to my post. Here are the numbers you asked for.

AS322R025

Looking at the part itself, it still looks intact, no cracks. I also used a multimeter to test the part to see when heat was applied if my reading would change as I read online. It seems to change a little but not much.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-24-13, 01:25 PM
G
PJmax...Thanks for the help once again. Received part today, replaced it and bingo everything's back up and running. You guys are awesome.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: