Hayward Pool Heater H100ID does not work

Old 08-07-13, 06:08 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hayward Pool Heater H100ID does not work

I have a Hayward Pool Heater H100ID that is about three years old. It has been working fine until I turned it on the other day and nothing. I checked the power source and it is fine. Still no power to the heater. What can I do next other than buy a new heater.

Old 08-07-13, 07:47 AM
Old 08-07-13, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is the door closed properly ? There is a switch and the unit will be dead if not pushed in.
Are you sure you have power......maybe a GFI tripped ?

Manual for you heater. Hayward-pool/pdf/manuals/H-series-H100ID1

There are several threads on this subject. The following is one of them.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/po...-no-spark.html

You may need a voltmeter to perform some tests. Do you have one and know how to use it ?

Old 08-07-13, 08:29 AM
M
I have the heater working off the same power cord as my pump and the pump is working fine. I changed plugs and still nothing, pump works fine, heater nothing at all.

Old 07-07-14, 08:57 PM
K
I have a Hayward h100id natural gas that is two months old. It worked off and on pretty well as long as I moved the ground wire around(had a piece of wire attached to the ground lug and the other side jammed into the ground) about three days ago it quit working again. The unit comes on, blows cold air but doesn't ignite. Installed a ground bar and attached the ground wire, flushed the system, pulled the igniter(looked fine) not real handy but can do a little. A Hayward technician can't come out until the 18th or 22nd. That's three weeks of cold pool please help.

Old 07-07-14, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
It worked off and on pretty well as long as I moved the ground wire around(had a piece of wire attached to the ground lug and the other side jammed into the ground)
What ?!?!?!?!

Your pool heater should be bonded to the same ground system as your pump and electric. I'd have any ground issue looked at ASAP.

Old 07-07-14, 10:13 PM
do you smell gas when heater blower comes on?

Old 07-08-14, 09:11 AM
K
I do not smell gas. The blower comes on and just blows cool air

Old 07-08-14, 09:58 AM
sounds like an issue in the safety loop. is pool running with good circulation (clean filter?). Is place where fan is clean? Sometime birds build nests. Check wires in safety loop.

Old 07-08-14, 03:48 PM
K
What is "safety loop" I'm not an electronics guy but I listen to directions pretty well

Old 07-09-14, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
In post three is a link to your manual. The wiring diagram is on page 7.

The three switches circled in orange are the safeties in question. On page7 - left side are the wire colors. Those three switches need to be closed and you will get heat.

Name:  vv.JPG
Views: 8769
Size:  28.6 KB

Old 07-09-14, 11:14 AM
remeber door has a switch that must be pressed to fire heater

Old 07-14-14, 04:39 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Questions

Good Day, if the fan is coming on with an H100ID heater the safety loop has been satisfied. After the blower comes on do you hear the igniter clicking as it is trying to light? What is your gas supply, natural or propane? if natural how far is the heater from the gas meter and what size is the pipe? If propane, what size gas tank do you have.

Old 07-14-14, 04:54 PM
K
I do not hear a clicking. I tried turning it on yesterday and it kicked on and stayed on. The water going into the pool was pretty low pressure. Is it possible the things not coming on because the water is too cold? The things only two months old!! Very frustrating! It would not come on today

Old 07-14-14, 06:00 PM
water temp does not matter, I'm guessing might be water flow

Old 07-14-14, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Good Day, if the fan is coming on with an H100ID heater the safety loop has been satisfied
How can that be...... the pressure switch can't activate until the fan is running. If that switch doesn't change state or the other two limit switches are open.... the fan will run all day and the ignition module will never activate.

KenJ..... without a voltmeter to check the switches everything is a guess.

If there isn't enough water flow....... the draft inducer blower (fan) won't start.

Old 07-22-14, 05:18 AM
D
How can that be...... the pressure switch can't activate until the fan is running. If that switch doesn't change state or the other two limit switches are open.... the fan will run all day and the ignition module will never activate.

Agree... According to the manual schematics, the fan comes on once the pressure switch is satisfied. The limits and air pressure switch are a different circuit that needs to be complete once the fan has started. The OP really needs to get in there with a Volt/Ohm meter to verify continuity.

One other thing to look at on these heaters is the power connections on the board. I have repaired several of these over the years due to cracks in the solder connections on the pins. Hayward refuses to acknowledge that there was a problem with these boards. I have at least 4 in my area that I have re-soldered to repair them. The problem usually shows up after the unit has started and warmed up though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: