Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Life Expectancy of Pool Heater, Liner, Pump

Old 08-10-13, 09:58 PM

Have had a pool which is now on its 11th year. In-ground 20x40 vinyl-lined steel, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heater and sta-rite pump. Chemistry has been regularly (if not rigorously) maintained without major incident. Pool has an motorized cover. In Wisconsin, so it is winterized and only used typically Memorial-Labor day.

Pool heater is starting to act up, and vinyl liner is wrinkling in places and is noticeably bleached at the waterline, but is not leaking. Pool pump seems to be working okay, although the heater issue may be flow related.

Since this is my first pool, its age is new frontier to me. What is the expected life of these components? What would be the tipping point to motivate me to replace them? (Example - vinyl may be aesthetic, but as long as its holding water its ok? Pump - I'd like to replace with a 2-speed, but the ROI doesn't justify as long as the pump is running).

Appreciate any insight

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-13, 08:22 AM
there is no way to accurately answer this. It is mostly dependant on maintnanace and upkeep. I have seen pumps and liners last almost 20 yrs. but then I have also seen them needing to be replace in a couple years. Sounds like you have been doing a good job taking care of it.